Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You might try the Big Tommy or Lily Lake. Rocky Mountain Nat Park is right there as Jay noted. The elk should be bugling up a storm!

Have fun!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
WoW, Kirk's fly shop (right downtown) does a weely fishing report, that includes the lakes and bait. They post it in their shop, and it's also in the friday Trail Gazette (in the Tv section). The paper only comes out Fri and Wed, so it's on sale till then.

Right now (and most of the summer) they recommend pink or orange power bait for either lake, and gold lures.

I fished Estes last, not last Friday, but the Friday before. I fished by the marina ussing fly and bubble. I used #18 Renegades and #16 Orange Ashers. I caught 11 or 12 fish in about 2 hours.

3 of my buddies fished Lake Estes this past Thursday. They fished from about the middle of the lake parking lot (off hwy 36). They were all using gulp Salmon eggs (red), on #16 and #14 trebal hooks, w/ about a foot and a half leader (of 4 pound line). They were doing really well. I'm not sure how long they had fished (they left for lunch), but by 2:00 (they started at 10) they had caught 14 between the 3 of them. One of these guys fishes it all the time (almost daily), and sais green Z-Rays have been working good.

The North Fork in Glen  Haven has been producing a ton of Brookies. I know people who have done well w/ flies, and other who have drifted worm pieces. It's narrow through there, so fly fishing can be difficult.

If you're w/ family, I'd recommend Lake Estes a day, and a day in RMNP.

My favotite lures for Lake Estes are -

1) 1/6 Thomas Boyant (copper)
2) 1/4 Tasmanian Devil (gold)
3) I think it's called a Stinger Fly (pink) I get them from Sportsman's

Bait -

1) Pink power-bait
2) worms
3) salmon eggs (balls o fire)

For Mary's lake -

1)  1/4 Tasmanian Devil (blue/pink)
2)  small Super Duper (silver or gold w/ red)
3)  1/4 Thomas Boyant (pink/gold/blue) or (gold) 

Bait -

1) worms
2) sucker meat w/ brown sugar (power bait may catch more fish, but Mary has Lakers in it, and the Rainbows will hit this as well...
3) salmon eggs (Gulp)

Good Luck

James

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
To be honest, I don't know if it helps or not, but I know it doesn't hurt. A friend of mine always puts brown sugar in w/ his sucker meat, and swears by it. Another of my buddies fished a private pond for Browns, the guy who took him told him to bring some sucker meat. He brought some w/ the sugar, and out caught the guy who took him (who had plain sucker meat). I've caught Lakers, and Trout using it at other places. I've only once caught a Lake Trout outta Mary (using worms). Had just started fishing, and at the time didn't even realize what it was. One of my buddies caught 4 during last season, and all of worms.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
Wow nice tip James...one I have never heard any where...that is interesting to say the least...just when you thought you had heard most of them...guess it only stands to reason that Brown Trout would like Brown Sugar...wonder if they would bite even more if the Rolling Stones Brown Sugar was playing too?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been a couple three liftetimes since I've been up that way, or trout fished for that matter, but one thing you may want to try is going behind the damn at Estes lake and fishing where the river picks back up just east of the spillway.  Nothing really big, but I used to get tons of action up and down that whole stretch using traditional river tactics like flies, spinners, and/or floating worms, PB, or salmon eggs with a small splitshot down the current and into pockets and eddies and so forth.  They have picnic tables and what not there, and for the kids there's usually some calm water right by the spillway as well to cast and sit while you work up and down.  Lake Mary has great sceneray and can be good family action, also seem to recall a couple YMCA ponds east of town for kids that were basically like trout farms, just loaded, no idea on what's really happening up there now though.  Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts