Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a couple of people at Centennial Park lake yesterday and they both said there was a fish kill at the lake about 3 weeks ago. Anybody have any first hand knowledge if this is true? There were still some carp swimming around so it wasn't a total kill, but carp are pretty hardy so they might survive when other game fish wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When we had that cool weather with the cloud cover for a couple of weeks some ponds along the front range with alot of vegetation had fish kills. Those plants that were producing O2 could not photosynthesize and started to die giving off alot of CO2. Or at least that is what a sign at a FOCO pond said happened. I had been wondering why there was nothing but 3 inch sunfish, carp and cray fish in the pond with real clear water and lots of weeds down the street from my house... I showed up to fish the Poudre and It smelled like suplur and the water was a cloudy white in the gravel pond next to it. Now I know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fish kill answer

I found out thru another blog the kill was due to excess fertilization and the rains we had a couple of weeks ago washed the fertilizer into the lake killing some of the fish. No one seems to know what percent of the population died. I talked to the CPW and they had no record of the incident. I will e-mail CPW with the information I have and we will see what they will do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally talked to someone from the city that knew about the incident. The lake did a sudden turnover due to the extreme change in temperature we had in late September. There were more bottom weeds than I believed there was in the lake and that helped account for the low oxygen level when the lake did it's turnover. The weeds had been accumulating on the bottom for years and the sudden turnover stirred up all that waste and low oxygen level in the water down there then killed up to 90% of the fish as it moved thru the water toward the surface. The lake will be restocked sometime in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts