Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its that time of year again...the bows are starting to do their thing. If I can ask anything, it's to please let these fish be.

Here is a link to an article from North Platter Anglers that I feel describes very well the unethical practice of fishing for fish actively spawning. I hope you will all read it and take it to heart.

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/fishing_the_redds.aspx

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Good points made. I also have reservations about fishing over spawning trout, but if you choose to do so please be considerate of thier redds and try to get them in quickly...and dont "overfish" an area, catch a few and move on and let them do thier thing.

N

·
0 Posts
A little common sense can go a long when when fishing to spawning fish. Fishing in WA taught me what to look for and what to avoid. However, riddle me this. Would you ever fish for steelhead and salmon in the Pac north west or Alaska???? The only time you can catch those fish is when they are spawning, its the only time they are in the freshwater rivers. I realize that its different in non-anadromodous(spell check) fish, but as long as you are not tromping through spawning beds than I don't see the problem with fishing for spawning fish. Its an exciting time of year for the angler, and I really don't see how a bunch of ethics freaks(not that I don't have them in flyfishing) with no REAL scientific backing for thier statements help anyone. I read the article and even he said that he believes it doesn't upset the process. So in turn, I will keep fishing for spawning fish. Call me a trout murderer, I don't give a $&!^. Bring some hard scientific evidence that mearly fishing for these spawing fish hurts the spawning process(not bumbling around like an idiot through spawning beds)and I will lend a little credibilty to the argument. One more question, if one takes care in this time of the year, and does not romp through spawing beds. How many of those eggs and fish fall victim to dropping oxygen levels and pollution in our nations watersheds, not to mention large pollutants rolling down stream? Don't give me a speech, I know what I do to help battle the pollution being dumped into our trout streams. Take up a real battle and fight to keep these streams productive trout water instead of glowing sludge canals. Again if you can show me REAL EVIDENCE(not just what you think might,may,or possibly) that fishing for spawning fish actually hurts the process I will be forced to rethink fishing for spawning fish.

R

·
0 Posts
Unethical? How many impoundments in Colorado contain  self-sustaining populations of Trout? I believe in Catch and Release , but what is the difference between Bass fisherman flingin 6" worms with 2-0 hooks through spawning beds and trout fisherman drifting #16-#18 egg patterns to Rainbows spawning in 6" of water in a streambed. Also, what is the difference between stabbing a metal hook through a fishes mouth and bringing him in by his head when he is spawning, or any other time? Its still going to hurt the same! I'm sorry, I pay for a fishing license, HABITAT STAMP, and state taxes, I will fish to anything and everything that is legal. BTW, my mom interupted me and my girlfreind while we were spawning and I'm fine, sooo WTF.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
whoa fellas, i never said you shouldnt or are unethical if you do fish over spawning fish, i just asked you to be careful...its legal, and nothing says you cant...

I have no evidence that fishing over spawning trout is harmful, but i dont see how it can be benificial...im not a scientist and have not conducted studies to prove this, but its my choice to use caution when i do so because in my mind it does the trout no good to yank them off thier redds when they are attempting to reproduce. if anyone here does think it is benefical please say so, im all ears ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rottal said:
whoa fellas, i never said you shouldnt or are unethical if you do fish over spawning fish, i just asked you to be careful...its legal, and nothing says you cant...

I have no evidence that fishing over spawning trout is harmful, but i dont see how it can be benificial...im not a scientist and have not conducted studies to prove this, but its my choice to use caution when i do so because in my mind it does the trout no good to yank them off thier redds when they are attempting to reproduce.  if anyone here does think it is benefical please say so, im all ears   ;)
I've thought about this recently and while I was of the mind that it's not beneficial or reasonable or whatever to fish over spawning redds or over spawning trout or however one puts it, if we go by that philosophy, then it's not reasonable to fish for any fish during their spawning season as they're either gettin spawned or looking to spawn.

I'm as ethical as the next guy (hmmmm) but it doesn't make sense to fish only for spawning time trout when they're off the redd, which they are most of the time.

And do we abstain when they're doing the deed? If so, well, we have a whole lot of other time to fish for them, say, 8 hours out of 24. At least, that's my time frame. ;D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The only species of fish i usually try not to fish (i say usually, keep in mind, id be lying if i said i have never done it) for while they are in spawn are trout---river bound trout that is, not the lake bound varieties, which usually only go through the motions of spawning in bodies of still water. This is because i like to see trout reproduce and sustain thier own populations, rather than just exist merely because we stock them all the time. I dont enjoy catching fish right off a hatchery truck, id rather fish over self sustaining populations of fish. (call it a fetish i guess...)

As far as salmon? go for it...they will go upstream regardless if you catch them or not...ive never caught a pacific or atlantic salmon, only land ocked kokes, which dont really spawn in any number here in colorado.

Bass? They usually return to thier beds if you pull them off. I might do it, but usually try not to give into the temptation.

The way i look at it is pre spawn trout arent currently on a redd, and will continue to attempt to reproduce after being caught...but i am not sure if a trout pulled off a redd it is currently inhabiting will return or not. This is why i dont like pulling fish of of thier beds....

Thats my opinion though, and the practice i try to follow.

And yes, this is a touchy subject with some people ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If every rainbow in a river spawned at the exact same instant then that would be one thing. The fact is that right below those fish on the redds will run a section of river where other bows are feeding as usual. So by all means, if you wanna go force fish some fish in 3 inches of water go right on ahead. I just don't see a lot of sport in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts