Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen that a couple of fellas here make fish tacos.

If you have some recipes you're willing to share, post em up!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had them for dinner tonight. You can sub sauteed seasoned fillets for ceviche depending on your preference. But the coleslaw and siracha are the trick. We use a recipe similar to the one shown in the link. You can't go wrong. The families favorite meal for years now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpRzrKFC3s

You can batter and fry the fish but it i really seems to make the dish boring.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
NEVER use "fresh water" fish in seviche....
Only "salt water' fish is safe....
Been mentioned here quite a few times...
Fry up Your fillets, first...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
2 crappie filets, fried with airy tempura.

2 corn tortillas warmed on a skillet with melted butter.

Put filets on tortillas, light on the sour cream, cilantro, light on Pace Medium picante, eat and relish.

Simple and amazing. The key is proper tempura.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
2 crappie filets, fried with airy tempura.

2 corn tortillas warmed on a skillet with melted butter.

Put filets on tortillas, light on the sour cream, cilantro, light on Pace Medium picante, eat and relish.

Simple and amazing. The key is proper tempura.
Sounds GREAT to Me...
NOW... if I could only find some Crappie Fillets..... ::)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have never understood how battered fried fish is so popular. Best way to ruin fish is to batter and fry it.

Now some grilled fish tacos, that sounds awesome. I never really considered using freshwater fish for fish tacos. Guess I better head out and catch dinner!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Tempura? Pace picante sauce? Get a rope!

Nice to see we agree on something. Oprah better take that Pace bullshit out of here :-X .

Grilled or pan seared with whatever seasoning you like. Pepper/garlic or blackened or cajun seasoning all work good depending on your mood. Slap some fish in your CORN tort and slap some pico de gallo, squirt of lime and your in fat boy heaven. Simple, clean balanced taco.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to see we agree on something. Oprah better take that Pace bullshit out of here :-X .

Grilled or pan seared with whatever seasoning you like. Pepper/garlic or blackened or cajun seasoning all work good depending on your mood. Slap some fish in your CORN tort and slap some pico de gallo, squirt of lime and your in fat boy heaven. Simple, clean balanced taco.
Thanks GR.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The way I see it, Tempura is Asain, and for eating with chopsticks, and almost always consumed with soy sauce, to much breading over the fish to have in a taco even if its light and fluffy. And I think Pace Picante Sauce is over processed mass produced representation of hot sauce and is for cheap tex mex. Not to say Oprys way isn't tasty, its just not what I think of when it comes to real fish tacos.

Lightly Beer Battered fish, with Chipotle sauce (Mayo, lime, adobo sauce, spices) and my wifes coleslaw is the way I like it.
Maybe hit with a little cholula, or tapatio, or tomatillo sauce

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
King Soopers had a very good, fresh salsa, sold in a plastic container, (hot or mild) in the Deli Cold case...
About a year ago, they changed manufacturer's and It sucks, now...
Great, if You needed a quick salsa....
Other than PACE.... lol!

·
Registered
458 Posts
This thread inspired me. Tonight I am going to bake some fish, whatever is cheap at the store, and then tomorrow I will be having fish tacos with the leftovers. The tacos will consist of:

- Baked fish (halibut, trout, cod, whatever I decide on at the store)
- Corn tortilla
- A little bit of coleslaw
- Some leftover salsa I have from taco's rapidos (it is legit awesome salsa and I have like 10 little containers of it.)
- Possibly with some black beans and a little white rice on the side.

Anyone have a problem with that?

Didn't think so.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Have to use plain old chopped cabbage, not coleslaw, too watery, it will ruin the CORN tortlilla, might as well use a flour one at that point.

I also make a sauce of Mexican crema (sour cream will do in a pinch), fresh avacado, cilantro, some garlic (pressed), lime juice, and chipolte or Guacamaya (better than Tapito or Valencia IMHO) for a little zing. If I am beer battering then a cheap cut of fish (tilapia, pollock or snapper), if grilled (butter and garlic) then dorado, robalo or opah.

Had a kick ass Korean style fish taco earlier this season made with black cod, cabbage some kind of creamy soy based sauce, cabbage and kimchi. It was awesome.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Yeah ill run right out to king stoopers and grab some OPAH!::)

·
Registered
458 Posts
This thread inspired me. Tonight I am going to bake some fish, whatever is cheap at the store, and then tomorrow I will be having fish tacos with the leftovers. The tacos will consist of:

- Baked fish (halibut, trout, cod, whatever I decide on at the store)
- Corn tortilla
- A little bit of coleslaw
- Some leftover salsa I have from taco's rapidos (it is legit awesome salsa and I have like 10 little containers of it.)
- Possibly with some black beans and a little white rice on the side.

Anyone have a problem with that?

Didn't think so.
So I did this tonight with some frozen tilapia filet's and it was AWESOME. I want to eat ten more of those tacos but I won't because I am trying to be less fat than I am. I made them with white rice and black beans. Oh so good!

I used this recipe for the fish. It was awesome. My 6-year old is begging for more which is amazing because he doesn't eat anything.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemony-steamed-fish/detail.aspx

Bravo for this thread! I don't know what I would have eaten without it!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts