Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Does fish this taste better caught during the summer, spring or through the ice?

• Winter (through the ice)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spring

• Summer (through the weeds)

• Fall

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a few guys & gals that they like to eat fish caught through the ice.  They said fish through the ice taste less "fishy" & the texture of the filet is better (whatever that means) than any fish caught during the spring or summer.  I've heard this from a couple of people from Minnesota and Colorado.

I'm pretty sure everyone has their favorite specie(s).

What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't think ice is necessary, but any fish from cold clear water tastes better than a fish from warm, muddy water. So winter and spring would be the best.

And any fish is better than no fish.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Also, if the fish freezes quickly in the winter, (on the ice) it can save on that "fishy" taste. As opposed to sitting in the live well, or buckets on the way home, in the summer.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I picked spring, because right out of ice off the fish are all hold overs and have had most of that dog food cleaned out their system. (this is trout wise). I also have to say summer, because I do most of my camping in the summer and fish always taste better on the campfire.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
afishman said:
anything tastes better on the campfire ;D
mmmmmm pancakes!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like fish at spring because the fish taste less fishy than at other times.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
afishman said:
anything tastes better on the campfire ;D
mmmmmm pancakes!
i still need to master camp fire pancakes, mine keep falling through the grill

·
Registered
89 Posts
didnt want to start another thread about something so similar... but had a question. what does it mean when the meat is different colors? two rainbow trout pulled from the same lake, one had whitish meat, and one had redish orange meat? never saw the redish orange before.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mrl said:
didnt want to start another thread about something so similar... but had a question. what does it mean when the meat is different colors? two rainbow trout pulled from the same lake, one had whitish meat, and one had redish orange meat? never saw the redish orange before.
Your answer can be found here:
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=2923.0

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well I don't know if fish through the ice are better but they sure arn't worse. Cold water would get my vote espcially pike thats the biggest difference I've noticed.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
mmmmmm pancakes!
Heck with the grill how do you get the batter to stick to the hotdog/marshmallow stick?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha if you dont bring a cast iron skilet when you go camping you dont know what your missing, I once hiked a dutch oven on a 10 day 65 mile hike just to make peach cobbler.
Back when I was young and inshape, stuff like that was easier. How I only bring it if the campsite is less then a mile away.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I like to eat fish that eat other fish! Wipers, Walleye, and Pike. To me trout taste like what they eat,  Bugs! I love to catch them more than eat them. Trout are ok smoked! I usually keep a couple while ice fishing to give to my inlaws who love trout.

If I do eat a trout it will be a Brown or brookie.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
Haha if you dont bring a cast iron skilet when you go camping you dont know what your missing, I once hiked a dutch oven on a 10 day 65 mile hike just to make peach cobbler.
Back when I was young and inshape, stuff like that was easier. How I only bring it if the campsite is less then a mile away.
the only way i take castiron back packing is if i can sneak it in my buddies pack

i think what makes a bigger dif in taste for our trout is how long they been in the lake/stream the stockers fresh from the hatchery suck (no other way to put it) but after they been in a lake/stream 6months or more the get tasting good and the long they been there the better the best ones are the ones thet got stocked as fingerlings

1 - 16 of 16 Posts