Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its my birthday today and i just got a FISH TV underwater camera from my dad. Anybody use one before? If so how are they? Do they work well? He also got me one of the big 12 volt rechargable battery for it for me. One last question, the lights on the fish camera, are they supposed to light up visably or no? Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Bought one last year and I really like it. It is much more than just a toy once you figure out how to use it as a tool. I usually have mine set on one of my rod presentations so I can see fish come in. Helps to figure out your presentation a bunch as you can see how the fish are reacting to what you are doing. It gives you a great visual of the structure you are fishing as well. You'll be glad you have one when you get out to use it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Notice that little hook-looking thingy on the tail? It's the little cutout on the back.

Try hanging your cam from the tail so you can see down instead of the insanity of having to turn the darn cam to see you jig, etc. It's just like looking down the hole when you're sight fishing. You'll see your jig drift down there, see what's on the bottom and swimming around down there, see the fish come up and inspect your jig, and either turn up their noses (change jigs) or inhale it (set the hook!). If you fish with the lights on, you can see your line down there too, even fluoro. The fish still don't see the fluoro. Some will even check out the camera - and it's cool to see the fish up close!

Fishing with your underwater camera like this turns ice fishing into a video game - i.e. pull the jig out of the mouths of the little guys so the big ones can get it! Once you've done it, you'll seriously consider turning your depth finder off and using the battery as a backup when the camera battery poops out! (They all use a 7AH 12v battery. We carry a spare for that very reason!) This is also perfect when you fish shallow ponds like up at Golden Gate Park (Kriley is less than 10 feet), and we were having such a hard time interpreting returns on the Vexilars and subsequently missing a lot of bites that we just hung out in the ice hut and fished by tv! A camera helps you interpret what you're seeing on the Vexilar. Great teaching tool. Not to mention cool!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought an Aqua-Vu on Ebay the other day. It should be here tomorrow. I was talking to some guys about it and they told me to hook it up to a downrigger cable and attach a release to it. That way you can watch your lure as you're trolling. They said it's amazing how many fish follow your lure while you're trolling. Can't wait to try that after ice fising seson.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cabelas has their 5.5" monitor on sale for $99 and the 7" monitor on sale for $150. I don't know which would be the best but this thread has really made me think about using some cabelas point toward one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
probably going to buy one on friday. seems like its priced right. just cant afford the fancy aqua vu heck i just need something that works i dont care who makes it! (although i do hope theyre made here in the U.S.A)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
clint walker said:
I think they're pretty cool but I have two issues with cameras (not trying to be negative);

1) for pike, I think they spook the pike so I won't use them while pike fishing

2) major snag hazard for a fish that runs that direction

for a place like Dillon where the fish are small, they're awesome!! I remember Tiff using hers there and all 4 screens were covered with kokes (she has the 4 way aqua view)

I would be afraid to lose a trophy trout if it makes a run that direction if it's close enough to be a snag hazard. If it's shallow and you can yank it out, would be awesome to have. Pan fishing would be cool with one! just my opinion on cameras
I'll disagree on number 1. I have many times had pike come right up and mouth the camera or just sit there staring at it. Just like I have seen them do many times with a lure or sucker.

The other 2 items I agree with, they can be hazards. One way to get around it is to drop it down a hole a few feet away. How far you can drill it depends on the water clarity. But the further the less likely to get fouled.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got one last year - very basic and someday I would like to get the 4 screen AquaVue buy they cost lots more $. I am interested in what the fish are doing and I have learned a lot watching them with this camera. I found it amazing to see everything that is going on under the ice. Haven't used it much lower than 25', but the infrared camera works well. Hanging the camera sideways and trying to keep it pointed in one direction can be maddening as you have to twist the chord, etc. to keep it adjusted. One thought - I haven't looked lately but Cabelas also had an entry model with a case that was a little more. I bought a case last week for my FishTV this week ($20) after using an old day pack last year.
When it comes to fish cameras, people either love them or hate them. I (and the new people I take out on the ice with me) have found this camera to add a lot of fun and a new dimension to ice fishing. I have been amazed to see what swims by!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts