Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two negatives have to make a positive right? From the Denver Post...

Cherry Creek Reservoir will open to boaters on Friday, March 13, Colorado Parks and Wildlife said Thursday in a news release.

The 880-acre reservoir is one mile south of I-225 on Parker Road at Lehigh. A daily parks pass is $9, and annual pass is $73.

The state parks department reminds boaters that vessels must be inspected for aquatic nuisance species before they can be launched. The east ramp at Cherry Creek Reservoir will be open for inspections 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. through the end of March.

For more information check out the park's website.

http://www.denverpost.com/arapahoeco/ci_27700377/boating-resumes-cherry-creek-reservoir-friday-march-13

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Saw a post on FB today from Tightline Outdoorss.... First open water eye of the season... super tiny little thing LOL But open water boating noine the less :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looking forward to taking my kayak out for its maiden voyage this weekend. May even try to catch my first walleye too. Ive got a feeling its going to be a zoo out there this weekend.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Great, now if only Chatfield opened this weekend!
When I drove by Chatty yesterday there was still ice south of the swim beach...... Sure would be nice if it cleared out and Chatty opened up but i am not hopeful for this weekend... but you never know!!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Rvinson, I called chatty today and was told that they are estimating another week. Maybe by next weekend.
Thanks for the update!! Thats about the time frame I was expecting.... Hope that holds up to be true!!(Or maybe sooner!!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was told if the boat is setting in the water on a slip and has an I/O and it freezes it should be safe. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I was told if the boat is setting in the water on a slip and has an I/O and it freezes it should be safe. Does anyone know if this is true?
Not a chance...the engine block and water intake manifolds are going to freeze and crack. They certainly aren't underwater.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Not a chance...the engine block and water intake manifolds are going to freeze and crack. They certainly aren't underwater.
X2. That said, most sterndrives are not that hard to winterize. The 350 MAG on my old boat was 3 plugs, water could be drained in less than a couple minutes. But couldn't do it on the water.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for the update!! Thats about the time frame I was expecting.... Hope that holds up to be true!!(Or maybe sooner!!)
Yeppers.... BUT......be ready for a new ANS routine.....
When You load Your boat and depart, You will go through another, new, ANS shack and checkpoint....
It'll be like a "circle route."
Gonna save time, for sure...
AND... be a more thorough search, I was told... for ANS, and Your catch....

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think you mean that it is ok to leave your boat in the water when the weather gets below freezing, this is true to a point, it is much more prone to freezing after you take it out of the water, in Homer Alaska many boats, inboards and outboards stay in the water year round even when the Harbor freezes up temporarily like it is now. The twin engine inboard outboard Diesel I just sold is in the water now along with many others. With that said there are always exceptions like using common sense and not leave it in an area that is known to freeze solid for extended periods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts