Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you life in Ft.Collins???? Besides me.
G.R.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ft Collins angler here! Moved from Austin,Tx 3 years ago and love it here. So many different types of bodies of water to fish.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Masonville, which is about 10 mi. west of Ft. Collins and about 10 mi. northwest of Loveland. My wife shops mostly in Ft. Collins but I go to Loveland (because it has a Sportsman's Warehouse). :) Loveland is building a Dick's Sporting Goods but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Fishing lakes closest to me: Horsetooth, Dixon, Boyd, Lon Hagler, Boedecker, Lonetree. Rivers: Cache la Poudre, Big Thompson. All about 20-25 min. away which is good at the current gas prices. I haven't done any river fishing this year.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I live in Fort Collins. I love it. I have always been a fly fisherman but am getting into the regular stuff and I started ice fishing a year ago and love it. There is no better place to live if you love fishing. I have a saying about the "3 hour drive". Where I will take a day trip any where in a three hour one way driving distance. In this "3 hour" circle is some of the best fishing in the world. Just to name a few Gray Reef, Frying Pan, and the South Platte. Not to mention the hundred other rivers and lakes. Also if you want to stay a few nights and drive a little more you can get to such fishing meccas as the San Juan, The Green, all of Yellowstone, and all the rivers in Montana I read about and dream of one day visiting. Not to mention the river that keeps me up at night, one of the most underestimated rivers in Colorado. I'm talking about the Poudre. I can fish it in town, I can fish it at ten thousand feet, It is truly amazing. Well there you are this is actually my first real post sorry it's a little long. I read what you guys post all the time and have learned alot. Hopefully now that I broke the ice I'll actually post my own report.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Walking Eagle said:
Masonville, which is about 10 mi. west of Ft. Collins and about 10 mi. northwest of Loveland. My wife shops mostly in Ft. Collins but I go to Loveland (because it has a Sportsman's Warehouse).   :)  Loveland is building a Dick's Sporting Goods but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Fishing lakes closest to me: Horsetooth, Dixon, Boyd, Lon Hagler, Boedecker, Lonetree. Rivers: Cache la Poudre, Big Thompson. All about 20-25 min. away which is good at the current gas prices.  I haven't done any river fishing this year.
W.E. I went to Dick's Sporting at the new Mall in Loveland,and I was disserpointed with it. Lot's of clothing,sporting stuf,exersice,but very little fishing,I stick with Sportsman Warehouse they are the best in everything.I go to all those lakes were you go,exepte Boedecker. Life right below Horsetooth,close to Dixon,but I haved been there this year at all.
Gunter Romeo

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Pondfisher& Hatchmaster I been living here in Ft. Collins for the past six years,and it is truly amazing with the fishing allaround here.I go mostly to Douglas Lake, Horsetooth,Lon Hager,and up and over Camaron Pass,Redfather Lakes.
Should you see a silver Nissan Frontiee,with green stripes on the side,and with "ELVIS-I" plattes,hard to miss them???on any parking lot by a Lake it's me,harrasing some pure fish,come find me.My pics. are the one with the big wipers on fishing forum.
thank's,
Gunter Romeo

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am in fort collins.

Moved here 10 years ago from MN. I just started fishing again this summer after  about a 15 year hiatus. I grew up on a lake in MN and enjoyed the pike and bass fishing. the LM and SM fishing here is fun but i haven't gotten into any decent sized fish (except a couple 15" LM) I miss the pike fishing in MN. Started fly fishing this summer and enjoyed the browns and rainbows. I need to get out to more local lakes and reserviors, I also need a canoe. 

This summer and fall I've fished horsetooth, dixon, Sheldon (city park) riverbend ponds, Poudre and Big T.  I want to check out more places like boyd, lake loveland, lon hagler, big t ponds, etc etc....It's all about having time.

By the way Walking Eagle...I always enjoy your posts, insight, and humor...excellent writing. Keep it up.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Masonville, which is about 10 mi. west of Ft. Collins and about 10 mi. northwest of Loveland. My wife shops mostly in Ft. Collins but I go to Loveland (because it has a Sportsman's Warehouse).   :)  Loveland is building a Dick's Sporting Goods but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Fishing lakes closest to me: Horsetooth, Dixon, Boyd, Lon Hagler, Boedecker, Lonetree. Rivers: Cache la Poudre, Big Thompson. All about 20-25 min. away which is good at the current gas prices.  I haven't done any river fishing this year.
WE, how often do you see turkeys out in Masonville, if ever? Member of the biological species commonly referred to as "turkey" that is.

Oh, and yes, I'm in Fort Collins

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Cutthroat said:
WE, how often do you see turkeys out in Masonville, if ever?
About every second or third day I have to slam on my brakes because there are a bunch of them standing in the middle of the road. The only time you can't find a turkey is if you go looking for them. :)

There was an item on the evening news a couple of weeks ago about traffic being held up both ways on highway 34 between Loveland and Estes Park because the road was full of turkeys. The people would kick the dumb birds off the road and they would just come right back.

The only critter dumber than a trout, is a turkey.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Johnstown about 15 min from Ft Collins. I went to DicksSporting goods and was very disapointed with the lack of fishing gear. No ice fishing stuff and minimal fishing equipment. Sportsmans is by far better.

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!
Grizz

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sportsman's in Loveland rolled out all sorts of extra ice fishing stuff this year. One of the guys there showed me all the stuff in the back before they brought it out. It was quite load.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Grizz...check out Bennetts in Berthoud...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Been there done that got the hat to prove it! Bobby at Bennets has a great selection but is very expensive compared to Sportsmans. Bennets does have good live bait!

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!
Grizz

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
WE-Like elvis said, you'll find that Dicks doesn't have nearly as much fishing stuff as Sportsman's. They do have some sales once in awhile though so its worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
For my money sportsmans is the ticket. Their prices are always the lowest and 90% of the time their staff is very knowledgeable. I usually don't buy my flyfishing stuff there though. I like spending more on that stuff at fly shops (i don't know why I just do)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts