Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out for a 4 night 5 day fishing trip and have pulled the shopping duties. We are staying in a decent place with a full kitchen ( oven, micro, toaster, crockpot etc...) I was thinking of my usual fare, but I thought I would see what peoples go to meals are ?? We will be in drift boat everyday and fishing pretty hard, the easier dinner is the more beer I can drink...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Get a couple cans of Thai Green Curry. Use it with the left over Roast Chicken you bought. Add rice.
Canned Sausage gravy and pre cooked sausage crumbles pour over micro wave cooked potatoes with eggs.
Couple of cans of Corn beef hash with eggs.
Juanita brand Posole stew or Green Chili stew.
Make some Meat Loaf, Ribs, Pork roast. Freeze it and take with you.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Corned beef hash and eggs for sure. I would also make up some thick sliced Bacon w/ cheese sandwiches (pumpernickel rye bread) and a Thermos or two of Tang.

Fish on...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Easy and good. If you want gravy, ladle off the fat and make gravy.
CROCKPOT PORK ROAST

1 3to 4 pound pork roast, boston butt
1 envelope lipton onion soup mix
1 envelope water
garlic powder to taste

Place roast in crockpot. Pour in soup mix, water and garlic. Cook all day on low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get a couple cans of Thai Green Curry. Use it with the left over Roast Chicken you bought. Add rice.
Canned Sausage gravy and pre cooked sausage crumbles pour over micro wave cooked potatoes with eggs.
Couple of cans of Corn beef hash with eggs.
Juanita brand Posole stew or Green Chili stew.
Make some Meat Loaf, Ribs, Pork roast. Freeze it and take with you.
Some great ideas there
Corned beef hash and eggs for sure. I would also make up some thick sliced Bacon w/ cheese sandwiches (pumpernickel rye bread) and a Thermos or two of Tang.

Fish on...
Soooo you are sayin Bacon Lettuce Tomatoe sandwiches without the lettuce and tomatoe. Nice form! :shocked:

Easy and good. If you want gravy, ladle off the fat and make gravy.
CROCKPOT PORK ROAST

1 3to 4 pound pork roast, boston butt
1 envelope lipton onion soup mix
1 envelope water
garlic powder to taste

Place roast in crockpot. Pour in soup mix, water and garlic. Cook all day on low.
Don't cha want taters onions and carrots in that mix and make a proper pot roast?

Great article Hobiecat

·
Registered
18 Posts
No better way to cook dinner than throw some brats, pork chops or steaks on the grill and leaves ya plenty of time and effort guzzling beer!

I also like to make a giant batch of kicked up baked beans and pasta salad on the first day so you can pull it out each day thereafter. :hungry:

Where are you going and what will you be fishing for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We will be on the Big Horn River... Weather is looking great, family and friends, the Broncos ( 40+ inch TV that can record at our place ) if only it was still duck season.... The menu is the final piece....

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The Bacon cheese on pumpernickel sand... That's got history in my family.

We were up in Steamboat in the late 80s and we brought some heavy black pumpernickel bread for Bologna and cheese sandwiches. On the way up to the back-country lake, we realized we forgot the Bologna. Stopped at a gas station and they didn't have Bologna... BUT, they DID have a pack of Bacon in the cooler. We bought it and had Bacon, sharp cheddar, and pumpernickel. That's it.

From that point on, we had the same setup every time we hit that little lake. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds like a killer trip jfish. :thumb:

For a short trip like that, for breakfast, think about what will get cha on the water quickly in the morning. Yogurt, granola and fresh fruit is a good hangover cure and quick.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Make a crap load of your favorite scrambled egg mixture cooked (I like eggs, precooked diced sausages, onions, diced green chiles) put in a big gallon zip lock...a bunch of tortillas...the mornings of fishing you just spoon the precooked mixture onto a tortilla...add a little shredded cheese or salsa...fold up into a burrito...nuke to warm up...roll up in foil and you have a good tasty breakfast that stays with you and is ready in 2 or 3 minutes tops that you can eat on the ride to the ramp...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Took a trip 4 day trip with some guys this past fall ( nobrokeback) . The meals were great! Nothing like having a meal fit for a king after a day of fishing.

So, for breakfast one guy made some good , spicy breakfast burritos, all pre made at home the night before leaving. In the morning we would reach in the fridge and throw in a burrito a piece into the oven and warm them up as we geared up for the day and sipped coffee. No point in making a breakfast and wasting time when there is a morning bite waiting for you. Even by Sunday the burritos still tasted fresh.

Lunches were just simple sammiches.....but honestly we never stopped for lunch except one day.

First nights dinner was a pork tenderloin that was cooked in a pot with a bunch of goodies ....garlic,onion,spices...etc. . Fried some other potatoes and smothered them with the gravy that was now in the pot with the tenderloin. It was the best meal of the weekend.

Next night was spaghetti and elk meatballs.....with some home made Jesus Juice, best drink of the weekend and we had a lot of different adult beverages. The cook was a dirty old Italian so his sauce was tits.

Third night was rib-eyes with grilled poppers and zucchini and some mushroom soup for apps. The first nights meal was better than this but this was pretty fucking good. And there might have been some salad.

Most of the food was fresh, nothing processed out of a can crap........

Just some ideas......

Def pre making some stuff is the way to go.breakfast and lunch should be simple IMO. make dinner your MEAL of the day.

I'm fat.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Took a trip 4 day trip with some guys this past fall ( nobrokeback) . The meals were great! Nothing like having a meal fit for a king after a day of fishing.

So, for breakfast one guy made some good , spicy breakfast burritos, all pre made at home the night before leaving. In the morning we would reach in the fridge and throw in a burrito a piece into the oven and warm them up as we geared up for the day and sipped coffee. No point in making a breakfast and wasting time when there is a morning bite waiting for you. Even by Sunday the burritos still tasted fresh.

Lunches were just simple sammiches.....but honestly we never stopped for lunch except one day.

First nights dinner was a pork tenderloin that was cooked in a pot with a bunch of goodies ....garlic,onion,spices...etc. . Fried some other potatoes and smothered them with the gravy that was now in the pot with the tenderloin. It was the best meal of the weekend.

Next night was spaghetti and elk meatballs.....with some home made Jesus Juice, best drink of the weekend and we had a lot of different adult beverages. The cook was a dirty old Italian so his sauce was tits.

Third night was rib-eyes with grilled poppers and zucchini and some mushroom soup for apps. The first nights meal was better than this but this was pretty fucking good. And there might have been some salad.

Just some ideas......

Def pre making some stuff is the way to go.breakfast and lunch should be simple IMO. make dinner your MEAL of the day.

I'm fat.

:llama:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Fish fry, oil and spaghettios lol. thats what one of my fishing partners brought one time. Be careful who you trust with the groceries.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Just some ideas......

I'm fat.
Did ya have to mention "nobrokeback?" Sounds like you are disavowing somethin'. :D The rib eye was a good choice. Add some sea food, flowing wine and some fine bourbon and you'll have an epicurean feast. Still ain't gonna be a hecatomb, but it'll be a fine meal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts