Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to fish a "canal" where I thought the cut-bows would be active and was not disappointed. They fight great and I use a ultra light set-up which makes it even better. It's a rush watching them come out of the deep to slam you in the clear water! A few browns and rainbows were thrown into the mix as well - no salmon have moved in yet.

This is a well known spot with tons of people moving all over the place and I got to see some very interesting techniques. One guy had waded in to the canal which was 18' across and was performing a walking drift, at the top of the pool, he would lay his indicator out, and then walk it down through the hole while in the water. I saw others doing the same thing from the bank - I think one guy pretty much walked the entire canal doing this. Kind of reminds me of an old elk camp we had, we use to shoot elk out of the big rock meadow in the mornings - now there is always an outfitter tent in that meadow. If your standing right where the game is suppose to be - casting shadows everywhere, your probably going to scare them away. Anyway I caught a ton of fish - it's funny how confused fly fisherman get when they see a spin fisherman Pillaging the fish on a 6" long F-11, the looks I get are great and the comments are priceless.

Well I know these are not pigs but I like seeing what others catch on this site no matter how big or small so here are a few of the fish I caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I was there last Tuesday, and it was dead although generating. Nice to see fish finally moving in. Keep that ish quiet cuz it will be elbows and assholes combat fishing...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already is - I will not go back, there was someone in every hole and someone walking by casting shadows every couple of minutes. I would have tripled my catch if I could have fished more holes but as it was I had to fish side currents and shallow runs no one else was targeting.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Glad you caught some fresh, but to qoute Chuckphlegm " Fishing for trout with conventional gear is like beating up handicapped people". Also, weekend fishing is extra crowded.... always.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goldenrod, why would you say something negative like that? This is a fishing form where we share what we have done. Please tell me what I should have done differently so we all can learn from you...

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
yeppers good work with the brownies...ya go when you can go...obviously most of us dont have week days off regularly...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Goldenrod, why would you say something negative like that? This is a fishing form where we share what we have done. Please tell me what I should have done differently so we all can learn from you...
He implied you should have fly fished and threw a few not so subtle jabs at you for spin fishing since you kinda threw a few subtle ones at them.
And the eternal battle rages on...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I know I know - I should not have done it - Ill fly fish from now on darn it!!
Coincidentally enough all the fly guys gather at hamburger Mary's on Wednesday nights. Perhaps you can go there and get some good tips on how to fish the deep holes.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Stickbaiter......it's not that serious. Just jokes. If you sit and laugh it makes life easier. Stick them however you want legally. And please lighten up.

You coming to our meeting this week, Goonie. We're gonna talk about the new fast action long rods this week.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Coincidentally enough all the fly guys gather at hamburger Mary's on Wednesday nights. Perhaps you can go there and get some good tips on how to fish the deep holes.
lol...try slinging a meat whistle there!

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Hang out and discuss the 3 wgt. purple headed white owl---

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
G " Fishing for trout with conventional gear is like beating up handicapped people".
Just doing nature's bidding. Weed out the weak, sick and injured. >:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry Goldenrod, someone pissed in my Wheaties yesterday - Ill cool down for sure...

I forgot all about shadow mtn when I posted this - I was at the DS, lol. It reminds me of an irrigation canal to a hay field I use to work on a ranch.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Ive seen that canal packed on a Wednesday-
It was devoid of people, however the spillway was an effing moshpit of metal chuckers, worm drowners and sissystickers trying to cast to the same spot. We packed up and went to the town Whore known as Georgetown lake. They are stackin'...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts