Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Fishing access below Gross Dam

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dr Cro 
#1 ·
Hi all. I normally fish the reservoir itself but have never tried below the dam. First off, are you allowed to fish the spillway/outlet and if so, can you get there from Gross Dam Rd?

#2 ·
You can indeed fish the Gross Tailwater. You can park at Walker Ranch and hike down a ways to fish the east side. I think it is a little over a mile to the creek. The Walker Ranch loop itself is 7.6 miles. You can also park on the north side of the creek as you go along the road that goes to the dam and inlet trailhead parking area if it is not full. If you have driven to the dam area I am sure you have seen the parking area I am talking about. It is on your left as you descend the hill to the creek. SBC can be good fishing, but check the flows before you go. They vary alot. Don't expect anything huge there (most the fish are 8-13in), but don't be overly surprised if you do find a large trout or two occasionally. I do not believe that you can fish the spillway. That area is private.

Here is the site I use to check flows: Detail Graph . Right now it is at 168CFS which is pretty good IMO. When it gets above 200 it can be difficult to fish. 75-175 is kinda the sweet spot. Good luck!

#3 ·
You can indeed fish the Gross Tailwater. You can park at Walker Ranch and hike down a ways to fish the east side. I think it is a little over a mile to the creek. The Walker Ranch loop itself is 7.6 miles. You can also park on the north side of the creek as you go along the road that goes to the dam and inlet trailhead parking area if it is not full. If you have driven to the dam area I am sure you have seen the parking area I am talking about. It is on your left as you descend the hill to the creek. SBC can be good fishing, but check the flows before you go. They vary alot. Don't expect anything huge there (most the fish are 8-13in), but don't be overly surprised if you do find a large trout or two occasionally. I do not believe that you can fish the spillway. That area is private.

Here is the site I use to check flows: Detail Graph . Right now it is at 168CFS which is pretty good IMO. When it gets above 200 it can be difficult to fish. 75-175 is kinda the sweet spot. Good luck!
Thanks buddy! I'll go check it out when the smoke clears. I think the locals describe it as Narnia because of the hike and going through the woods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.