Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the site and I was thinking about going to pueblo on 4-16. I have never fished there before and I was wondering if this is a good time of year to do so. Any helpful hints are much appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well lundman, Pueblo can be a tough nut to crack. You can never tell when and where they will bite. The fishing is rarely great.

Day in and day out from March thru July I have had the most consistent fishing in the North Marina cove. Trout, bass, walleye, crappie, wipers are all in the area. I believe that a large number of crayfish live on the graded flat that
they bulldozed to make the parking lot and marina (they will steal bait if you let it sit on the bottom). Lots of locals fish for trout here.

Not surprisingly early and late in the day are usually best when the water is warm, and after dark in early summer. The water is pretty cold right now, so you might do just as well in the middle of the day.

Anything in Rainbow trout patterns has potential, plus plastics in white, black, chartreuse.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You didn't say if you'll be fishing from a boat.  Pueblo is a far better lake from a boat than from shore IMO.  To be honest, you're a little early.  Late April would be better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips crk. Is there a good bait store down there or should I get everything friday be fore i go?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im not sure if the bait shop is still there or not but there was one on McCullough Blvd going into Pueblo west if you come in from the north on highway 50 it seems to me that it was right there in a little strip mall type thing.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The bait shop is no longer there in Pueblo West. The owner was busted a couple years back for poaching 13 deer with his friends. The DOW took the shop. You will have to go to the bait shop on the other side of the reservoir on Thatcher Ave.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow thats interesting i haven't lived in southern colorado now for four years now and never heard that thanks now i know not to try and go there if im going to pueblo thanks.....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I had stopped at that bait store in Pueblo West a couple of times a few years ago and saw a lot of trophy heads on the walls. Now I know where they came from. Glad the DOW gave that a-hole what he deserved.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ya guy rolled his truck and died Kurt Leach was his name I believe good bait store bad bait store owner. Isure would have liked to see him pay the fines on all five of the sampson class bucks the dow was charging him with
By the way last time I looked bout a week ago there was no bait shop on the south side either bummer, better bring bait with you just in case lundman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts