Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I will be camping/fishing at Rifle Gap State Park the last week of this month and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the creeks in that area? I have heard that fishing is pretty good at Grizzly Creek and Rifle Creek.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
410 Posts
Went up to rifle falls and folks where fishing below the fall for brookies. if you want any pearch check out either end of the lake around the weed lines. You could wade or use a belly boat and be on them within minutes. If the weeds are gone check around the island. It had some structure that looked like it might hold a bunch of fish.

Don't know much about the creeks you mentioned.
JT

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JT thanks for the quick response. I will have my waders with me and am thinking about taking my float tube. Do you have any suggestions on flies or would spinning gear be better. I don't care to much as far as what type of fish. I just want to catch some fish. The creeks I referred to was told to me by another person but they couldn't give me any info on them.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
804 Posts
There is good fishing for browns below Rifle Gap Reservoir. Nice pools but brushy in spots. Waders are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
jbrowning,

In that area your options will either be the Colorado River, Roaring Fork River, or Tributaries to the Colorado such as Grizzly Creek, Elk Creek, and Canyon Creek. You might need a map to accurately locate these tribs as they are not extremely well marked from I-70. The tribs will not be flowing very much and will be shallow so your best bet would be to focus on where they dump into the Colorado. Big brownies are staging up for the fall spawn. Look for signs at the tributaries that might indicate a closure during this time for spawning fish. I know they close them in the spring, but am not sure about this time of year. You will notice the signs at the tribs if they are posted. The Colorado river this time of year can be fantastic because the water contidions are so good clarity wise. Nymphing will be good (Copper Johns, Princes, Pheasant Tails), possibly even some dry flies (Red Quills, Blue Winged Olives). Streamers take some big fish this time of year as well (black, olive, otumn splendors). The Roaring Fork should be hot as well. Good access the first few miles upstream from the Confluence with the Colorado. You can also do well covering more water with spinning gear (panther martins in natural, darker colors, small rapalas or spoons). That's a quick run down!!! Go Get em'!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy Cow, now I really don't know what I'm going to do. At first I was ok with just fishing the Res. at the campground for gills and stuff. But after the last couple of posts. I don't know what I'm going to do cause I sure would love to get tangled up with a nice trout on the flyrod. Hmmmmm decissions decissions. I also see that it is supposed to be in the lower 60's next week in Rifle also.
Thanks for all the replies.
Jim

·
Registered
16,559 Posts
I f you fish the lake you will catch many trout on lures or flies.You will catch many perch on jigs/worms or just worms.There is a gazillion fish in rifle.gap.I fished the stream below the dam last year and found it to be clear,shallow and tough to fish cause of the brush. The few fish I saw were extremely spooky.Last year my bro caught a 13lb pike on a twister tail in the res.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you have any suggestions on flies or lures to use? I'm gearing more towards trout and bluegill.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
16,559 Posts
Lures for trout would be thomas bouyants in gold or silver.I use 1/6 oz.1/4 oz silver kasty's will work.I would use some terrestrial patterns for flys(hoppers,ants,humpys).I dont know about bluegills there but imagine they would hit the same as perch if you can find 'em.Small dark tube jig or twister tail with small piece of worm on the bottom.I was jigging a swedish pimple for the perch while ice fishing and the trout kept getting in the way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Slayerfish, I have been tying some black ants in sizes 12 and 14. I guess I will work on some easy hoppers to. Thanks for all the info guys.

Jim

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if i was tossing the ants and hoppers id put a nymph on a dropper behind it something smallish like a 16 phesant tail or similar

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Roadkill. You would probably be able to get away with doing a dropper setup like that. But I have enough trouble keeping knots from forming with just one fly at the end of my tippet.  :-[ I don't even want to think about having two flies out there and the knots I will have.  ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jbrowning said:
Thanks Roadkill. You would probably be able to get away with doing a dropper setup like that. But I have enough trouble keeping knots from forming with just one fly at the end of my tippet.  :-[ I don't even want to think about having two flies out there and the knots I will have.  ;D
i get a boot load of knots after i get tired a little and my casting gets sloppyer thats why i carry a 100 yard spool of 2# test and retie the tippet section a lot it seems that most of my knots end up there so i just snipp it off stuff it in a pocket and tie on a new length and go

what i found realy helps in beating the knot thing is to not cast strieght back and forth but in a slight oval so on the back cast i try to keep the rod tip out to the side a bit and in a little closer on the forward cast then the line never crosses and cant knot up but i really have to concentrate on it as my arm gets tired i lose it and start to get knots

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have another question. If I can't get the dry/dropper method to work for me. Do you think using a clear bobber and a bhpt or a bhgrhe in a size 16 would work ok? I would fill up the bobber maybe half full or half empty depending on how you look at it. My spinner casting is a lot better than my fly casting. Once again this would be for the res.
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Yup it should do just fine.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i been haveing difficulties tossing the bubble/fly combo i always seam to get the leader tangled si with nymphs i have been tieing on the small nymph then several ft of lighter leader and putting some wieght at the end this worked great for me with an ultra light 7ft rod and 2# test i could cast a mile no tangles and i could work the fly deep (in a lake) dont know how it would work in a stream though good luck

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Roadkill. I am planning on fishing the res. there at rifle. I am using a beadhead on these pheasant tails and grhe. Do you think that is enough weight? They are a size 16. I was going to take some tippet with me and just rig that up on the swivel holding the bubble on. Is there a better way of rigging this up?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont know about "better" i know a bunch of guys that do very well with like 6' of leader after the bubble i just cant cast that setup. so i put the fly or flies on then up to 6' of leader and put my wieght on the end just a few split shot or a bubble FULL of water (so it sinks) or this is realy killer, a small flutter spoon but if you do the spoon be prepared to lose a few during the fight if it is rocky or has other snags i shoot to have just enough wieght to cast good but not so heavy it sinks like a rock

1 - 20 of 35 Posts