Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Decent cutty. Has either of those guys ever fished b4?

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
See anybody hucking metal there? That rock looks the bomb for hucking!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Sweet. For some reason I thought it was barbless flies only.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I checked it out. Barbless hooks. 1000 miles from my home. Maybe one o these days.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice...

In general; are the fish beat-up there, or pretty clean lookin'?
The fish are always gorgeous. It’s a thriving fishery that has been making a comeback. If you monitor social media and the like, 20+ pounders are constantly posted. But, it’s a big lake.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You can even eat them. You don’t need to be of the Native Paiute tribe to keep fish. I think the limit is one fish but considering that the average is like 22 inches, once fish a day isn’t bad. If you look on YouTube, there are drone videos from above of cutties boiling on bait that are pretty amazing. There are plenty of videos of giant fish, too. The official record is the world record which is 43 pounds, I believe. Could be wrong. When they mounted it, they had to use a laker blank because it was so big. I’ve heard there were 60 pounders before the white man showed up but who knows the credibility of that...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
if you don’t know the history of the Lahontan cutthroat (there are two subspecies in the lake) and pyramid lake you should look into it...it’s interesting. I’ve heard lots of people talk
About how it was rare to get a 10 pounder like fifteen years ago and now they’re common so it’s doing great. I think water was diverted from the lake at some point or something and at a certain point they thought the species or one of the subspecies (not sure) had gone extinct. Whatever was thought to be gone was found in a secluded spot somewhere and efforts to bring them back and bring the fishery back on line have done really well. The tribe makes bank off permits and everything so I think it’s in their best interest to keep it up but certain things are out of their control like the water situation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts