Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally, a break in the weather. It was a beautiful day in a beautiful setting. The road up the hill didn't open until nine and you had to be packed and out of the parking lot by four...So, kind of a short day which was kind of a bummer because I was having a lot of fun. Love this lake. Close to home and you'll always catch sixty to a hundred fish in a day.

I started out fishing for big fish. Hooked a good one in the first thirty minutes and lost it on the way up. Real bummer considering I didn't get bit for the next two and a half hours. Well, enough big fish fishing. Down sized and got bit on almost every drop for the next three hours. It's always a hoot watching the fish chase jigs on the sonar. It's also good practice since the little ones hit the same as the big ones and really, the same as walleye. Just a bonk or tic on the drop. Ended up catching fifty to sixty little macs 15 to 19 inches, unlike the trademarked Big Mac, and seven or eight bows. It was a fun day..Sunny, a bit of wind and water temps were 46 degrees.

A few poor pics just to show I was there. Kinda nervous trying to take pics with my new SMART PHONE. (Just for you Riv.) Afraid I was going to drop it in the lake.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure did appreciate the ranger using his bullhorn and announcing that we only had 35 minutes to get off of the lake and out of the parking lot. Completely lost track of time. Talked to him in the parking lot. Really nice guy.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Yah I remember that last year with Ninja-

Kinda funny-

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nice report Dave. Hell even Doom can catch lakers there....13 year old gonna have a ball. Numbers days are great.

You can get a waterproof pouch that goes around your neck for pretty cheap. The plastic actually still allows you to use all the phone functions without removing it from the pouch. Not sure how pics would turn out thru it though.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sean, I'll look into the waterproof case...sounds just like what I need. And Doom, I remember telling you a couple years ago that I'd take you fishing sometime. Do you have or can you borrow anything that floats? If so, we could get out and do some walleye fishing.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Nice Dave, THX for sharing!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks Sean, I'll look into the waterproof case...sounds just like what I need. And Doom, I remember telling you a couple years ago that I'd take you fishing sometime. Do you have or can you borrow anything that floats? If so, we could get out and do some walleye fishing.
I have a float tube bud. I'm slowly piecing it back together. I moved since then and it seems a lot of my fishing stuff got thrown all over.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice report Dave. Hell even Doom can catch lakers there....13 year old gonna have a ball. Numbers days are great.

You can get a waterproof pouch that goes around your neck for pretty cheap. The plastic actually still allows you to use all the phone functions without removing it from the pouch. Not sure how pics would turn out thru it though.
Thanks for the vote of confidence (even if it was quite tongue in cheek) you sweet sweet man.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice Hobie. That place can be a blast. Now if we can only get people to pick up their trash there and stop killing the big ones....

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Chris. When I talked to the ranger, he said he hadn't heard of any big ones caught yet this year. He heard of a couple being lost. I know people get excited when they hook and land any big fish. They want to show it to someone not even knowing what they'll do with it when they get home. That's why it's best to have a camera ready and snap a quick pic. Make the decision on what you're going to do for the fish before you ever get to the lake and then it's easy to let them go for someone else to catch. That way everyone has a chance to catch that "fish of a lifetime."

You gotta figure, out of the 1000's of fish I marked on the sonar, I only found six or seven big fish that day. They truly should be released for others to catch and release.

I pulled a 34 and three quarter inch daytime walleye out of Pueblo this year. It had an eighteen and a quarter inch girth. Should have weighed just under 16 pounds. Biggest eye for me to date. Didn't give a thought about keeping it. Wouldn't make sense to kill that fish.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Nice fishing... For the record, the plastic zip cases for the phones work pretty sweet... at about $12 it's a good thing for a fisherman.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Nice Hobes! Looks like a damn good day to me. Well done on the smartphone. Makes for better documenting ;)

What kind of phone did you get?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts