Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for yous guys. Where do you like to fish a drop off? For example, you have a steep bank that drops 30 feet underwater in a distance of 20 feet before leveling off at the base of the lake. Or say there is a submerged island. Do you fish the top, sides or bottom?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Question for yous guys. Where do you like to fish a drop off? For example, you have a steep bank that drops 30 feet underwater in a distance of 20 feet before leveling off at the base of the lake. Or say there is a submerged island. Do you fish the top, sides or bottom?
Yes

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yes...

Just depends..an extreme generalization. In my experience..fish on top are actively feeding. the edges..are likely ambush spots for predators...The bottom flat..seasonal. Biggest determining factor...what is and where is the forage.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I always fish it all, until I find active fish. Generally I like to find the transition point from where the slope meets the bottom. Then I set tip ups or deadsticks at varying depths to locate the active fish.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Species and time of year help in deciding where to fish. Time of day also plays into it. While icing I usually focus near the bottom of the drop off, so right where the flat begins to rise to shallower water. The tops can be good bets at first and last ice. More rescently I have began focusing on deep basin areas that are seeming devoid of structure. It has paid of immensly. Sometime a small rock in a featureless basin can be far more productive than the likely areas like a drop off or hump. This is especially true when ice fishing for species such as perch and walleye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts