Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question… Let’s say the CPW came out with a “Fishing Enforcement Stamp”. You could voluntarily add to your license, just like a second rod stamp. All money from the stamp was guaranteed to go to additional fishing law enforcement. Not to stocking or inspections, but specifically to pay salaries/equipment for additional game wardens on lakes and rivers. But the stamp did not benefit you in any direct way.

Would you buy one? And if so, what would be the appropriate price for it?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I would need a badge or pin to wear on my persons so that the wardens would know that I'm supporting them and to be a little more lenient on my with the rules.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
All we need is a bunch of Ranger Rickies Running around jacking with people. Go join the green berets or something useful-

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
No! The biggest reason is we cannot guarantee the money is going to stay for that purpose, USPS comes to mind! I've dished out in the last couple weeks over $250.00 for licenses, fees, tags and what not just to use this states waters and with everything going up every year they should be able to take some of the new money for this purpose!!! I would pay an extra fee for a state ANS sticker though for inspections with the intent the state leaves the ramps open longer and opens them sooner!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wouldn't pay it. In fact I would be more inclined to request that the nickle and diming be consolidated down to license type. We pay a search and rescue fee as part of our fishing license, and then again as part of our hunting license. Why not incorporate the habitat stamp into that rather than breaking it out?

I'm also of the opinion that law enforcement should not come out of the CPW budget - it should come from the State General Fund. License holders pay for the maintenance of wildlife and DOW properties, why can't the general public foot the bill to enforce the laws as opposed to just the license holders? Buying a license isn't a club membership - move the enforcement side under guise the of the State Patrol.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If they were going to hire more people, it would need to go to hiring more fisheries managers. Most fisheries managers have way to much water to manage and they are spread thin. Reg enforcement can be important on some fisheries, but giving the management attention each fishery needs is more important, and an area that seems is understaffed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It would be difficult to budget, train, and hire employees based on a voluntary program. I'd like to see them raise the price of resident licenses and tags. People complain about the cost already as if it is such a burden. $36 for a year long license to use Colorado waters is a bargain. You can't play a 4 hour round of golf for $36. You can't buy a half day lift ticket for that.
When I see the prices some guys spend on tackle and equipment and then complain about the cost of a license or park permit it makes no sense to me. $800 fly rod, $25 swimbait, $500 sonar. I'd pay the extra money to have more enforcement.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If they were going to hire more people, it would need to go to hiring more fisheries managers. Most fisheries managers have way to much water to manage and they are spread thin. Reg enforcement can be important on some fisheries, but giving the management attention each fishery needs is more important, and an area that seems is understaffed.
This but then we need the right managers that will do their job, my first fish at 4 years old was a Memorial day Rainbow that was a stocked Catchable at Stillwater on Granby, since Granby has been shorted Catchable Rainbows since 2011 due to fish managers not doing their job and playing games with Granbys fish the chances of tourists now having as quality an experience as I did in this Beautiful area is much less.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I would also pay extra to get closed areas opened back up, Williams fork only open s few days a week to boating and no overnight boats, can't have your boat at your campsite now. Willow cr. hand carry only now, lots of other lost opportunities due to the managers mentality that it's easier to manage by closure

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
No to an enforcement stamp.

Yes to an ANS fee that would allow me to self certify and launch at will. Heck, I would be willing to pay a large fee for this, and go through whatever training they require for their ANS inspectors. I have suggested this twice to the woman who runs the ANS program, but she won't even bother to respond...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I don't think a "voluntary tax" would get paid, not by me anyway. I think the CPW should sell a trout stamp, to be paid by anyone who is planning to keep trout, just like in Kansas. >:D Those slimers ain't cheap to raise and they divert funds from other fish management programs that would improve warm options.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
I don't think a "voluntary tax" would get paid, not by me anyway. I think the CPW should sell a trout stamp, to be paid by anyone who is planning to keep trout, just like in Kansas. >:D Those slimers ain't cheap to raise and they divert funds from other fish management programs that would improve warm options.
Heck ya, they could fund the whole state just off of selling Slayer a trout stamp...per MRT!!! :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, but let the state get the money and they will put it a general fund and find something useless to spend it on. Probably a study on goldfish in Boulder. I wouldn't buy one.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, but let the state get the money and they will put it a general fund and find something useless to spend it on. Probably a study on goldfish in Boulder. I wouldn't buy one.
^^^^^ or they'ld put the funds into another child safe playground at 11 Mile but on the south side over on Howbert Point!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts