Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I don't think a "voluntary tax" would get paid, not by me anyway. I think the CPW should sell a trout stamp, to be paid by anyone who is planning to keep trout, just like in Kansas. >:D Those slimers ain't cheap to raise and they divert funds from other fish management programs that would improve warm options.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
So then why not a warmwater fisheries stamp?

A walleye stamp?

Wiper stamp?

And I don't disagree that a trout stamps is a good idea.
A lot more resources (dollars) are put into trout. I'd be fine with a stamp for all species that receive a significant and identifiable share of the pie, but it would have to be proportional to the expense. My guess is the trout stamp would dwarf the other ones, to the point where, except maybe for walleyes and wipers, stamps for warm water species may not be worth collecting individually.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
You hit the nail on the head but i'm not sure about an extra trout stamp charge to keep them. most of those stockers don't survive catch and release and in most cases don't hold over to a second season. $35 for an annual, or $9 for a daily is high enough for the average person that wants to keep some stockers.

Money talks, the highest majority of fisherman that go out fishing are either "powerbaiters" or basic type fisherman who come to colorado to catch something other than a warm water species. They just want something to catch thats easy to access, they aren't like most of us who are avid lifetime fisherman, us lifers and big time enthusiasts are a minority.
So those who love cool water predators, or who are walleye, gill and bass enthusiasts get the shorter end in alot of situations in Colorado waters. Either because of budget and limited resources, or fear that the predators will wipe out the easier to catch fish that the masses enjoy. So the answer to achieving the best all around fishing and to fuel the fishing economy in colorado, is stocking generous proportions of rainbow trout.
$5 per person per year. Can't be much more than a jar of PowerBait! :lol:I have caught holdover trout from ponds as small as St Vrain Parks. Those slimers don't survive because they get taken home.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
This is why we go to other states-
Wait until you get addicted to the pond you hit recently. :-X Going to sleep now. Got a long day tommorow. 5 rods rigged up from swimbaits to trout lures. Definitely gonna get skunked now. Too prepared... :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.