Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be fishing Deckers in late April. I plan on bringing my spinning rod and fishing fly and bubble.

Any suggestions on what pound test line to use for my fishing line and what kind of leader to use? I'll be bringing my 6' LL Bean travel spin rod. It currently has 6 lb monofilament on it.

This is my second time fishing for trout. A few years ago I went fly fishing in Wisconsin with a fly rod and was unsuccessful. Going to try spinning a fly and bubble this time. I want to actually catch some trout this time. Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
That other link I posted showed the flies. I think you'll want a fly rod though.

Fly and a bubble on spinning gear works well for still water, might be too hard to control your drift on moving water.

Bring some Blue Fox Vibrax spinners if you are going to use your spinning gear.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Wow the LL Bean million dollar outfits and gear snobs are going love you!...sorry dont fly fish cant help you...wear a go pro and film it!...ought to be priceless with that crowd...I have rapala fished it and I know the friendly vibes I have gotten...good luck!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
xraps size 8 and 10...some floaters and count downs too...rainbow trout flavor!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow the LL Bean million dollar outfits and gear snobs are going love you!...sorry dont fly fish cant help you...wear a go pro and film it!...ought to be priceless with that crowd...I have rapala fished it and I know the friendly vibes I have gotten...good luck!
I don't think many will drool over this outfit. It's more of a convenience thing while traveling

LL Bean Combo Outfit

What kind of vibes? Did people throw rocks at you?;D How did the rapalas work for you?

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
No I was referring to the ones that look like they stepped off the cover of Orvis...its more disdain than rock throwing...lol...they can work well in places...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That other link I posted showed the flies. I think you'll want a fly rod though.

Fly and a bubble on spinning gear works well for still water, might be too hard to control your drift on moving water.

Bring some Blue Fox Vibrax spinners if you are going to use your spinning gear.
Thanks for your help. The trip is all set up now.

I have a fly rod I plan on bringing but I am completely inexperienced using it and don't have money for a guide while I'm there. I wish I could go practice in a field out here but there is 6 inches of snow on the ground here in Chicago and it's in the 20s. haha. Hopefully the thaw sets in soon.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
It's gold medal water, catch and release. You'll see signs posted but check out the regs before you go. As I recall it's flies and lures only, and a lot of times they don't allow scents or stuff like powerbait in those situations. The fly guys will give you some stink eye but if you are polite and don't get in their way you'll be ok. Take the time to walk around and well above them.

Bring a few different sizes and colors of lures and see what works. Expect to lose some. You need something big enough to throw across the river and get down into the moving water. Fish are facing upstream, holding behind boulders, under bank cutouts and riffles. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

Chad La Chance does this kind of fishing with rapalas.

http://fishfulthinker.com/fishbig/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep. You will be hated. Zman, I use the GoPro to upset the snobs, it has two sides.

I use four pound FC P-Line, with a two pound tippet.
Cast above that run and pull in slack with your non-dominant hand while trying to keep the bubble in the channel. The hit is subtle, but then the fun kicks in.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Catman I just wanted to see it all on video...a spinning rod gets enough disdain there...I cant imagine a fly and a bubble...all their fancy strike indicators are renamed to everything except what the are...a bobber...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Catman I just wanted to see it all on video...a spinning rod gets enough disdain there...I cant imagine a fly and a bubble...all their fancy strike indicators are renamed to everything except what the are...a bobber...
I don't get it. Why do people have disdain for those who spin?

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Me neither fishing is fishing...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
EGO'S

Same reason people think the brand of vehicle they drive is better than your brand. Ever seen an argument about pick ups?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
bring power bait scented gel too...
I'm a dick but i won't tell a guy to break the law ,lol.

Check the regs for the area and fish with whatever you want as long as it's legal.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would skip Deckers, unless you are mobility impaired. If you can walk OK, just hike into lower Cheesman Canyon. It is way nicer to look at than Deckers, and there are more/bigger fish. It is just a short distance (maybe two miles) upstream from Deckers and the experience is a lot nicer.

If you are a hale and able person, consider the hike into the upper Cheesman Canyon. It is a bit strenuous, but it is as much an improvement in scenery, solitude, and trout numbers/size as the lower canyon is over Deckers.

A guided trip might be worth a look. A local guide can put you on productive areas with key patterns and explain the logic of it. If you are determined to "roll your own" consider
doing a little historical research. You have more than enough time.

SS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts