Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is something ive struggled with for quite sometime . i fish for just about anything that will put up a fight trout to carp i love them all . But there is such a funny thing that goes on in colorado(born and raised all i know) I would like to put it in one word but i cant so ill explain it . how many times have you had a flyfishermen walk past you and give you the look . like he is your fishing master your supierior your a spin fisherman ha your benith him , and if you really want the bad look have a stringer . They think by you keeping one fish to eat for dinner its gonna ruin the fishery . thats when the your beneth me glare is in full effect . the funny thing that ive noticed about these guys is that most of the orvis decorated or sage slinging(most not all) cant cast to save there life much less catch a fish . to them fishing is a status symbol not a lifestyle(guys we know it rules our lives ) but none the less these people feel there are on top of the fishing food chain . when in all actuallity ( i cant spell) i see more old guys with 20 year old eagle claw setups catch more fish then most people and to take matters even farther these are the same guys that leave there fishing holes better then they found them . by cleaning up someone elses trash . i dont know how many times ive seen a flyfisherman walk past someone's old line and shake there head and act mad , but all they do is walk buy . the old guy slingin worms picks it up so he doesnt have to look at it . im not saying all flyfishermen are this way just the majority of what ive seen .

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishinguitars said:
im not saying all flyfishermen are this way just the majority of what ive seen .
Its true I have seen alot of stuffy flyfisherman in Colorado but have you tried talking to them? 98% of the flyfisherman I've talked to when I'm out (fly fishing or throwing hardware) talk my ear off. I even had an old timer in a kayak at brush hollow paddle upto us cause I said hi when he was paddling by and he gave Cody (my kid) a fly that slayed the bluegills.
As far as "the old guy slinging worms picks it up" statement. This is also a rarity look at all the posts on this forum about trash and bait containers left at everyone's favorite lakes. Those fly fisherman didnt put it there. I have alos seen alot of bait/hardware fisherman carrying stingers of fish home and when you ask them what they were biting on the answer is a grumble or a 'this and that'. WIth no straight answer.
Basically, you have fisherman on both sides of the board like how you describe, there are CPR (catch photo release) fisherman who are lures only. That frown apun anyone keeping fish. There are fly fisherman that catch their limit and keep them everytime they go out.
Fisherman are as diverse as society is, you will have a little bit of everything rolled into every class.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This is so true.  Them fly guys are like them golfers you see.  they dress all goofy and act as if they are better than eveyone else.  Flyfishing is an art and not a sport.  I just started fly-fishing this year and it is tough, but you won't see me wearing a goofy hat or funky vest.  Soon I'll be wearing my cofisherman gear.  I think I was meant to be a spin rod guy though.  Then again, I have seen just as many bait/lure fisherman who are just as bad.  Eveyone is different, it is the individual and not the class such as fly-fisherman, etc... But they do wear goofy clothes just like them bikers with those tight colorful shirts/shorts. I like what ePic said.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess my statement was pretty stereotypical but from what i know in my life its true . im also not some bait slinger thats just sideing (cant spell) with my kind . Ive been fly fishen for a while and bass fishing forever . i was one of the few people at punch's lake ( if you know it you know it ) that fished with a fly rod the same amount as i did that bait caster . I would also like to add the only person at lake carrol anne when i was a member that did talk to me was a bass fisherman named jeff who was a really cool guy . the old flyfisherman couldnt get past the fact that i was a tattooed big guy . I tried talking to quiet a few with no response . that lake is filled with huge fish but i would rather fish for free and have good company then pay money to be looked down on

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
It does not matter if you are talking about fishing, water/jet skiers, old, young, campers, bikers or any group you can pick out.  There are people who are good and bad and in between.  

Some people believe to truly get an experience there is one way for them to do it and other ways are just shortcuts.  Its all a matter of personal opinion nothing more nothing less.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have to agree about the
orvis decorated or sage slinging
i have run into a few of these lads they got thousands of bucks worth of gear stuffed in the back of there SUV and they walk and fish like they are afriad to get it dirty they cant cast and it is obvious they dont have a clue i give them the polite "hey hows the fishing" as i pass by now i get that grumpy look and i dont think it is cause they dont want to share it is cause they dont know S*** and they are frustrated with there lake of success

then there are the flyfishers in tatered and patched waders or even just in jeans out in the water waving there rod like a magic wand and dropping there fly in like they had comanded the wind to take it there these are the one young and old guys and gals that will talk your ear off sit and open there fly box. to them its not about catching the fish its about enjoying the time on the water and that includes shareing

i will never forget the young man that introduced me to fly fishing while camping in Yosemite i met a fly fisher and he ended up having me tie a fly while sitting round his campfire and the next day eventhough i didnt have a flyrod and i could only get the red adams grizzly i had made out about 8-10' he found a spot that we could catch some trout. I was 9. i have done my best to pass on his favor in fishing and in life in general

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahaha...the getting dirty is so true . the guys that wear waders on the big thompson in july and august are so funny to me . its 95 degrees outside but a pair of shorts on man dont worry the water wont kill ya

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so you have seen him too

i wish it was just 1

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Dan said:
It does not matter if you are talking about fishing, water/jet skiers, old, young, campers, bikers or any group you can pick out.  There are people who are good and bad and in between.  

Some people believe to truly get an experience there is one way for them to do it and other ways are just shortcuts.  Its all a matter of personal opinion nothing more nothing less.

Dan
Well said..

I've actually met a lot of nice flyfishermen... At Union in Longmont, but I don't meet too many flyfishermen elsewhere so what do I know? I aint sayin their nice because "Oh they gave me a free lure" or anything.. Most that walk by when I'm sometimes "BAIT DUNKING" are kind enough to crack a smile still.... I'll ask the usual "any luck?" and they usually reply to engage in some positive protocol. And that's kewl because I'm always smiling regardless of the vibe. Anyhow, Dan's right. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

There will be some folks with bad attitudes. I ignore em and keep fishing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Good Post. But I think Everyone has a side to them that others hasnt seen. Ive been there and seen that happen. From trash not being picked up.. flyrod fishers give that look. The main part of it all is we shouldnt second guess our judgement on others who are just like us. Some are just out killing time while others are out to provide for their families . Ive been in the forest field dressing an elk and had hunters stop by and ask if we needed help. Ive even experienced this past year, my hunting group bagged a 5x5 buck with hunters walking by looking at us like we dont know how to hunt. ( Normally my dad and the elders wont wear all that camo or paint their faces. Just their blue jeans and that nice bright orange. ) Ive seen bait fisherman pickup after themselves. Ive seen bait fisherman take out their kids and catch nothing and its still a good day.. But not everyday that you go out .. your gonna have a banging day and maybe they were just mad at whats been going on that day for them ( no luck) and youve had a whopper of a day.. Things like this cause us to pull back from this whole sportsmenship that we should have outdoors and cause confliction between each other. Yes People who dont pick up after themselves arent the best thing to see. But standing there and not helping out doesnt make us any better. Pick up their trash in front of them and they will know how much of a value to you it is to be outdoors and keeping it clean. They will catch on. Saying hi or even slight of acknowledgment of a hand raise will show that you respect them and a universal outdoor greeting.

Im much more a lure casting guy.. I respect those who fish around me. Ive given advise to on how to fish and what to use. Given lures away .. Ive taken leasons from others and even lures. I dont think flyrod guys feel as they are better.. Have you guys ever picked up a flyrod and tried boy its hard .

Being out is called a sport and we shouldnt bash our fellow outdoorsmen/women. We should respect that they were out giving it all they got using their own techniques or maybe to even just being out or hogging up the air. I think baitfishers and flyrods are much different its a technique of how you want to catch fish..

sorry soo long but soo much to say.. Sorry if ive offend anyone or made no sense. I just think that we should respect eachother because we all have that ambition and love for the outdoors.

steve

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am totally new to fishing Spinney and I had much help from the fly fishers there. I guess I dont know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
its not the real flyfishers i have a gripe with. its the ones that pretend to do it just to impress someone and not for there own enjoyment. its like the one that buys a $50,000 custom trail rig and the closest they get to "off road" is the mall parking lot .i respect anyone that does somthing for there own enjoyment even if they dont share. but for me shareing and helping makes it more fun and if i just want to be alone there are plenty of places to fish that i will never see another soul

·
Registered
935 Posts
I am a flyfisher as well as a spin fisher - fish for anything, anywhere, anyhow. Catch-n-release is sort of part of the sport for flyfishing. Flyfishing officianados will tell you how their method always lip-hooks, so the fish can survive better, because they don't have to cut off or pull the guts out to get their hook back, and they'll tell you how catch and release preserved the fishery so everyone can catch fish. They are probably right in waters that are not highly productive that are managed for wild trout. Where water are highly productive, or stocked several times a year, however, catch-n-keep is a right - and sometimes a must. Also, for warmwater species that recruit well in lakes, catch-n-release is only needed if the population is under great fishing pressure, but the same goal is accomplished by simply setting minimum size limits in these cases. The world is rarely so simple that there is one solution to every problem, and catch-n-release fly fishing is not going to solve overpopulation problems in stocked or highly productive lakes. Since the flyfishing ideal involved fishing streams and rivers, however, you won't see flyfishing literature encouraging people to keep fish, and flyfishers will continue to glare at anyone with fish on a stringer with disdain. If they do it on a wild trout river, it may be warranted, but in a stocked lake??? They just don't understand.

I fish with spinning gear, but rarely with living (or formerly living) bait. If the fish are biting sucker or worms, though, that's what I'll use. Sometimes the fish bite flies better than anything else, and I always have a fly rod along to take advantage of those opportunities. In stocked lakes, I keep fish that meet my minimum size criteria, but aren't too big. If a species can reproduce in a lake, big fish contribute far more, and often better quality eggs to the populations, so releasing them is a good idea. Also, the larger the fish, the more time it has had to accumulate natural toxins in their fatty tissues (we have natural sources of mercury, and unnatural sources of PCB's from the atmosphere and runoff in Colorado). Overall, for your health and the health of the system, it's better to keep the keepers you're going to eat, but let the real giants go.

When flyfishermen give you the hairy eyeball because of your spinning gear and the fish on your stringer, just smile and give them the thumbs up. That oughta really get their goat.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im gonna try that one . i was up in estes park fishing the big thompson in one of my spots . there didnt used to be anything in this spot that ive been fishing since i was barely old enough to walk now its crowded with condo's . I have a hole that i just love to fish and have been fishing for years every now and then someone is already in my spot so i find another one . I was up fishing in my spot early in the year when the water was low and gin clear . I was using some of the wooly buggers i just learned to tie with my fly rod . I was catching fish left and right with some real nice fish . there was one fish in this hole that was huge easily over 5 lbs ( i know alot of you dont think the big t has fish that big but it does) i finally got his intrest as he darts twards my fly my hearts pounding im already thinking of how im gonna get him in . all the sudden he darts away in inch from my fly . two older guys just step into the hole which isnt big enough for more then one person and the guy starts fly casting a foot away from where im drifting my line . sure enough they are the guys with the full on fishing outfits orvis the whole 9 . The guy that wasnt casting had a pair of what looked like little binoculars looking into the water im assuming they were polarized . dude there is still ice on the big t its pretty much a trickle you dont need binoculars anyways im assuming this putz with the binoculars was a guide . just goes to show how rude somepeople can be(see didnt just say flyfishermen that time) I have a bad temper and one of the good things about fishing is it calms my nerves . I ended up leaving my spot and started driving home i almost get to the town of este when finally i had an idea . i turned around walked up to the spot they were still fishing and tossed a couple of huge rocks into the water . they both looked up stunned and the one guy said hey whats the deal buddy . very calm i replied with thats the same thing you guys just did to me . I started walking away and the guy at dicks rock museam (i cant spell) . said he has been wanting to do that for a couple years these same guys do that to people all the time and it always works . driving home i realize i just drove an hour for 20 mins of fishing but the look on those guys faces was totally worth it . and i didnt have to beat either one of them up . sorry this is long but im venting

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Flyfisherman I've met on lakes are generally pretty decent, but those on rivers however are a different story. The guides are especially bad.
Here's the picture. I'm a baitfisherman on the colorado river. I bounce nightcrawlers just like a flyfisherman does a nymph. By using proper gear and technique, there is rarely a fish I hook deeper than the lip. I catch the fish, and let them go unharmed back into the water. I always make sure my hands are wet before they touch the fish, and sometimes I won't touch the fish at all, especially in the summer when the fish are especially stressed I will just reach down with pliers and flip the hook out. If I do take them out of the water it is for a quick photo only then right back in. I keep maybe 6 trout a year from the colorado, usually browns. I figure keeping 6 out of catching 600 is only a 1% mortality so I am doing pretty good. The fish I keep are ones deeply hooked, which is never more than 1 a trip and usually 0. So IMO I am every bit as good of a conservationist as proper flyfishermen.
What gets my goat is those guides and stuff that look down there noses at me, because their boats are never far from mine on a float it seems. I am catching far more fish than their boat and I bet they don't want their clients to see that. So they make stuff up. They always talk down their noses to me. They will say stuff like, "I've seen spinfisherman like you catch fish and reel it upstream, that breaks their jaws." If that were true (which it isn't) I've seen them do the same thing. Also, what about those flyfisherman that use tippet that is like thread, like the equivalent of half-pound test. They are the majority rather than the minority sadly. They will fight even a small fish a long time, which puts a great stress on them. The fish may swim away fine but it will probably die due to lactic acid buildup and other things. So IMO these flyfisherman are NOT conservationists, and they seem to be the majority rather than the minority. In my opinion anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts