Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys do this. What is the best lure and/or bait or something that works for both that actually works?? ???

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I go I usually throw suspening jerk baits like the swistik rouge or bomber long A. I have never gone for musky but hope to soon.

There are tons of ways and from what Ive seen here you will probably get a variety of ways to go for them. I'm going to 11 mile res for three days next month to chase Pike. I'm going to try everyones technique just for something different.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I like to use an old crankbait take the hooks off add a leader to the back of the crankbait and put a daredevil (red and white) back there. One thing pike cant stand is another fish trying to eat another fish they'll usually take it out.
However crankbaits, jerkbaits, jointed baits, spoons, plugs all work well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey epic,

That's a good idea.  How do you attach the front end of the wire leader to the crank?  Actually after rereading it you may not be using wire but if so tell me how  ;D

·
Banned
487 Posts
I think for pressured pike in clear water, the best thing you can do is to ditch wire leader. Plain and simply fish see it and it harms lure action. If you use heavy fluorocarbon, pike won't bite off hardly at all, though you have to play the fish more carefully.
I think that a jointed rapala weighted down with a couple split shot is a really good pike lure. Spinnerbaits work well too when pike are not put off. Large mepps black furies, and daredevles work okay too. Two overlooked but lethal presentations are big jigs with curly tails or mister twister sassy shads, or a soft plastic jerkbait 5" long.
Pike are hard to catch. The statements you hear about them being slobbering, agressive fools that hit anything and often take fish half their body length are pretty much legend. They are finicky, smart, fickle fish. You just have to keep casting, and casting, and casting. They have lots of food here in CO in the form of panfish, and for pike over 25", catchable sized trout. So just keep at it and be stealthy.
Pike are worth it. They fight hard and the strike is heartstoppingly ferocious. The best thing we can do is to release most all pike except for a few smaller ones. Encourage others to release them and to not listen to the CDOW about pike.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
wmccree said:
Hey epic,

That's a good idea.  How do you attach the front end of the wire leader to the crank?  Actually after rereading it you may not be using wire but if so tell me how  ;D
I usually attach the fornt to a wire leader as well, and occasionally leave the hook on the bottom of the first crankbait, but I have never caught one on the first bait. But who knows someday the pike may hit the first fish. Also use it there incase he gets tangled in the fight. I may be over cautious and I havent tried this technique here in Colorado so who knows.

·
Registered
440 Posts
IceInTheVeins,

True, Wire leaders are not absolutely necessary and overly emphasized. The essential benefit of a wire leader is that it permits rapid lure changes.

I prefer monofilament myself, 20# & larger.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ice...what about a braided leader? I've tried the thicker line but my lack of patience kills me and snap the fish off just before it reaches my hands. "Sonofa....!!!"

I hate leaving hardware in their mouth so I have digressed to using the black wire leaders. I still catch a few pike but the bigger, smarter fish just laught at my gear as it goes by.

I have experimented with a braided leader but struggled to get fish to take. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
Ice...what about a braided leader? I've tried the thicker line but my lack of patience kills me and snap the fish off just before it reaches my hands. "Sonofa....!!!"

I hate leaving hardware in their mouth so I have digressed to using the black wire leaders. I still catch a few pike but the bigger, smarter fish just laught at my gear as it goes by.

I have experimented with a braided leader but struggled to get fish to take. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Actually I have used the 14/6 fireline for pike leader and find it works quite well unless the water is really, really clear. Never have broke a fish off on it. But the fireline works best. Spiderwire doesn't work as well. And on the end of the fireline I tie a swivel unless I'm fishing spinnerbaits or soft jerkbaits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts