Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just moved to Fort Collins to start my masters degree at CSU. I'm an avid outdoorsman and love fishing. I know there are lots of good fishing opportunities in Fort Collins, but I am also really busy with school and won't have a lot of free time to check all of them out.

What area's should I be targeting? I have tried City Lake park, caught some nice bluegills. I also caught a nice brown trout on the Poudre just north of town, my first time fly fishing (they don't have many trout streams in Iowa).

Any tips? I don't really have one species I'm targeting, I like to catch anything from Catfish to walleye to trout. I have a fly rod and several standard Rod's with spinning reels. I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to fly fishing but starting to get the hang of it.

Any tips/ advice are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm always up for fishing with new people. I wanna get some fly fishing in too. I know a couple spots right now that are killer for carp on the fly. Hit me up if you're interested

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good luck with school. First things that come to mind are:
Dixon Res: near Hughes Stadium, lots of bluegill, crappie and medium size bass
Red Feather Lakes area: about 1 hour west of Ft C
-Parvin Lake: good trout lake (rainbow, brown, splake), good float tubing, fly
and lure
-Dowdy Lake: usually lots of trout action small to medium, some large, good
ice fishing
-West Lake: same
Joe Wright Res: 1 1/2 hr west of Ft C, grayling, rainbows, cutbows, watch for
moose!
Walden area lakes: 2 1/2 hr west of Ft C
-North, South, East Delaney Butte Lakes: big time trout fishing, trophy fish,
fly and lure only, good float tubing
-Lake John: good for rainbows, cut bows to 20"+

This will give you a good start. A float tube will help considerably in most of these lakes.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Jizm Lake. An oasis of pure fishing amongst the flail snobs-

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you are a good person and have the stamina to hike about 5 miles, I am pretty sure that Mikey wouldn't mind take you under his wings and led you there in a few months:D.
Hell yeah, and we'll let him carry our flashers and augers and maybe let him drill some holes in the ice for us.:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the advice.

Finally got the spinning gear out tonight as Whompuscat658 and I linked up tonight to do some fishing. We landed one walleye a piece using large suspending jerk baits.

Below is my walleye. I'd estimate in the 18-22' range and whompuscat's was similar sized. Thanks Whompuscat658 and best of luck to the rest of you fishing!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
(they don't have many trout streams in Iowa).

Go back to Iowa!!! Des Moines area fishing smashes Colorado!!! I visit often and I can't believe the amount of lakes and rivers/streams ya'll have there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts