Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved into my dorm here at csu foco. I was wondering what spots I can fish here that are in or around town. As of right now I only have my fly gear with me. I noticed the Cacha de Poudre runs right through town. Are there any spots close to campus that I could try? Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Have you talked to the fly shop? If i remember it is close to campus..
I know you can fish in and around town but do not specific spots, sorry.

I REALIZE I HAVE NOT BEEN MUCH HELP :thumb:

BUT I TRIED:biggrin1:

Home | St. Peter's Fly Shop is a full service pro fly fishing shop with ...
www.stpetes.com/

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I fished quite a bit in Ft. Collins back.in 2001--2002... Any specific species you're looking for?

There are some ponds up there that are great in Spring and Summer ... I never tried the Poudre in town, but a few miles up into the canyon, there are some excellent opportunities...

There are plenty of little turn-off parking spots along the lower portion of the canyon. Bring waders, go down to the river, and walk/Wade up to the more inaccessible locations along that stretch.

Wish I could remember more specifically, but it was 13 years ago.

If you're interested in warm water species in the Spring and summer, PM me and I'll get you some info.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of right now I don't really care what species. Just want to get some action with my fly rod. It's been a minute since I had any stillwater activity so that'd be nice but I wanna fish the river too

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Most of the gravel ponds that house warmwater fish run adjacent to the river. Within a short distance you can stillwater fish warmwater species and still river fish for trout........also......there are some nice carp in the river through town....great fight. Technically....you could actually catch a carp, a brown trout, a rainbow trout, a largemouth bass, a smallmouth bass, crappie, different species of sunfish, and tiger musky all within 50 yards in a couple locations.....all on a fly rod.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of the gravel ponds that house warmwater fish run adjacent to the river. Within a short distance you can stillwater fish warmwater species and still river fish for trout........also......there are some nice carp in the river through town....great fight. Technically....you could actually catch a carp, a brown trout, a rainbow trout, a largemouth bass, a smallmouth bass, crappie, different species of sunfish, and tiger musky all within 50 yards in a couple locations.....all on a fly rod.
Sounds awesome. Could you give me a basic idea where to go? Carp or Muskie would be fun. They'd give me a chance to try out my new 9wt...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Sounds awesome. Could you give me a basic idea where to go? Carp or Muskie would be fun. They'd give me a chance to try out my new 9wt...

I'd start listing off waters but some folks just use that info for freezer filler. Look up the waters DOW has stocked tiger muskies in and go from there...cross reference with an online map and you're on your way.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys. I went to St. Peter's fly shop and was thoroughly impressed with their willingness to help. They were super friendly. I think I'm going to try the Poudre first to see if I can get a couple trout. I'm also gonna see if I can get into some of the carp in the river with my new 9wt. Can't wait til everything thaws, though.

·
P I K E
10,118 Posts
I know you were, its Tony's fault!
LMAO!!! I'm serious also. At the bottom of the dam at Seaman there is an overflow pond where the Poudre takes off from there, we use to call the pond Scrotum. It looks like one and has to big ole boulders on each side of it...hence Seaman-Scrotum!!! Use to be some nice lil browns in that hole below Seaman!!! Google it!!! :biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts