Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on vacation last week in Minnesota, it looked like I was in for a very wet week of fishing as it had been raining there for 10 solid days. So on Monday, June 13th, hearing only forecasts of isolated showers and no thunderstorms, I headed out on Lake Miltona near the town of Alexandria, MN. I had a full fishing cover on my boat and so I was not particularly worried about getting wet and felt I could brave out any isolated showers. I was having no luck with the walleyes and was only catching perch. I was watching the peculiar storm clouds when at about 6:50PM, I got a call on my cellphone saying I should get off the lake right now as a tornado had been spotted nearby. I sped toward the boat ramp which was about 1-2 miles away. As I approached the ramp, I noticed a half dozen or so people staring at the lake directly behind me. When I went to look, I saw this tornado heading straight toward me!

A woman at the boat ramp took a couple of pictures of me getting off the lake, too, and mailed them to me:

So, I thought I'd share at least one thing that a fishing addiction can lead to -- the urgent need to purchase new underwear! ::)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some awesome pics glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thats insane but so am I, i once fished in basically pitch black dark during a lightning storm so the lightning gave me light :p

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As near as I could tell, the tornado was on the water. I also saw splashes into the air from the surface of the water just as that top pic shows...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen a few in Colorado (I remember the ones in downtown Denver, in Thornton and in Boulder), but this one was the closest for me! There was also not much of a barrier between me and the storm and I had a very eerie feeling watching it.

Seriously, everybody must know that I am generally NOT an unsafe boater ;)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I grew up in Kansas and have seen alot of them unfortunately. The one that wasted my house when I was six years old looked just like that when it came out of the clouds. They usually get that dark dirty looks after they have been tearing things up for a while. YOu were lucky Mike!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wow i seen this post for the last couple days didnt want to read it cause it thought yea right whatever. Thats crazy man i bet next time your out in that lake your gonna be a lil paranoid lol. Great pics too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
OH MY!!! I guess that is why we should carry weather radios when we go out in questionable weather.

You were lucky you got that phone call!!

We had a Tornado rip through a bay we were fishing in Canada when I was much younger! It was scary!! We watched the wall cloud moving towards us and decided to take cover before it hit. We parked the boat in a small cove facing away from the impending storm, tied it down, and took cover on shore. As the front hit, a Tornado spawned from the cloud and passed across the bay right where we had just been fishing. It moved East and struck the shoreline and tore the trees up pretty good! You made the right call to get the heck out of there!!!

Tim

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I admit I felt a mixture of fear and awe, then later embarrassment for putting myself in that situation...

Glad to be here to tell the story, though! ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope. I'm proud to say I waited a day... ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EricCO said:
Are you Eyeguy? How come there aren't any waves at the ramp? LOL Just Kidding.
Eric,

LOL. Well if you or anyone wants proof, you can PM me your address and I'll mail the underwear I was wearing that day for verification :D

C

·
0 Posts
Whoa! and i thought my experiance on Granby was bad (huge thunderstorm with 3 foot swells in a 10 ft rental boat, took 45 min to get off the lake, scaredest i've ever been) but if saw that coming at me i think i would faint!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts