Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Lived in chi for 6 years. Yes you should bring your fishing gear!

Hit all the harbors, montrose, belmont, diversey, burnham especially. bring tubes, in all colors and lots of 1/8oz tube jig heads. You probably have all the bass stuff you need.

Bring a 8ft rod with a decent size reel and some big spoons (glow cleo's, Kasty's, krocodile's) to cast for steelhead, lake trout, big browns and maybe a king or coho if your lucky. Bring a slip bobber rig, with small tubes and crappie jigs. Borrow a net with a long handle or fish near someone who has one.

You want to really have fun, fish for carp on light tackle with white bread, sweet corn, or shrimp

Bring a rod ?.... psschhh, of course!

If you have any super specific questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I would deff take your fishing gear! And you might as well just jump the border to Millwauke wis and fish McKinley Marina in side the harbor! You will catch the biggest Browns and Rainbows you have ever set eyes on! they are easy to catch and plenty full! TRUST ME!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Born n Raised in Chicago ( North Side), lived and fished there for 35yrs. Ice fishin may not be great then, but you'll certainly catch your share of Gobys :) Definately hit the shoreline at night with Glow Cleos for late steel/browns. Chinook and Coho are already done. Might bump into a couple Arlee strain Bows though.... Perch are tough to get nowadays and do have slot limits/seasons now.

Another great place to cast is along the north rocks on the road out to the Planetarium..

Like fishfullafish said, any of the harbors will be a good bet, Montrose, Diversey and Burnham get a lot of folks out on the ice.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So looks like I'll have some time during the day to mess around--museums, photoshoots, eat, shop while my cousin is attending classes--decided to bring two rods. Heading there next week!!! Woot!

Gonna target smallies, crappie, trout, and salmon.

Signed up on a couple of Chicago forums and looks like the fishing is warming up in Chi-town. Do I need to buy all three or just a one day? Confused.

Here are the different types of licenses:
Inland Trout Stamp $6.50
Lake Michigan Salmon Stamp $6.50
Sport Fishing License (24 hour) $5.50

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Born and raised on the West side.... Cermak Rd. and California Ave. St. Roman Grade School through 8th grade; St. Rita from Frosh- Junior till my parents moved to Den. in 1967. Lake Michigan was still a polluted mess when I was there... only Rock bass and perch from shore... or the concrete walls of McCormick Place..... I guess I missed the good fishing later in years
Went up to Minn. and Wisc. with relatives to do serious fishing.... or to Marquette Park Lagoon when visiting my Aunt, who lived on 71st St.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts