Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
ive read a few pages and enjoyed,thx for sharing. New Zealand is on my bucket list for sure!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ive read a few pages and enjoyed,thx for sharing. New Zealand is on my bucket list for sure!
May be able to assist you in that ambition MM, as I often offer fellow fishos from overseas an opportunity to enjoy a unique NZ fishing experience at approx. 1/10th of the normal cost ( normal air fares to/from NZ excluded )

So date have welcomed fishos from UK, Gemany, US, France, Malaysia, Sth. Africa & Australia. Usually involves being taken to special places not normally visited, guiding on an amateur basis, transport, homestay accommodation for a few days after airport pickup on arrival & return, sea fishing trip/s, self contained, motorhome accommodation good meals/wine along with any sightseeing the person might like to do. Motor home is an older model but comfy & reliable enough.

Being retired dates & schedules can be fairly flexible so long as in the warmer season ie US winter altho ideally to make it totally worthwhile would require 3 to 6 wks. or longer.

The deal is on the basis of a 50% share of any direct costs such as fuel, food, drink, butane gas etc. but most other aspects gratis, along with possible loan of gear if required.

Guest would be responsible for any personal costs & an overseas anglers NZ fishing licence, which from memory is about NZ$130 for 12 ths & covers 90% of the countries' fishable water, no licence required for sea fishing.

Would best suit an ardent fly fisher however anyone keen to learn would be welcome & personal tuition provided if required.

Expressions of interest invited from anyone keen to take up on the chance of a once in a lifetime trip, that for a number of various reasons, may well be the last such deal offered.

Cheers Barry

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very gracious of you Barry, hope someone takes you up on the offer. :thumb:Trip to NZ is not in the card's for me anytime soon, but will look you up when I'm in your neck of the woods

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
May be able to assist you in that ambition MM, as I often offer fellow fishos from overseas an opportunity to enjoy a unique NZ fishing experience at approx. 1/10th of the normal cost ( normal air fares to/from NZ excluded )

So date have welcomed fishos from UK, Gemany, US, France, Malaysia, Sth. Africa & Australia. Usually involves being taken to special places not normally visited, guiding on an amateur basis, transport, homestay accommodation for a few days after airport pickup on arrival & return, sea fishing trip/s, self contained, motorhome accommodation good meals/wine along with any sightseeing the person might like to do. Motor home is an older model but comfy & reliable enough.

Being retired dates & schedules can be fairly flexible so long as in the warmer season ie US winter altho ideally to make it totally worthwhile would require 3 to 6 wks. or longer.

The deal is on the basis of a 50% share of any direct costs such as fuel, food, drink, butane gas etc. but most other aspects gratis, along with possible loan of gear if required.

Guest would be responsible for any personal costs & an overseas anglers NZ fishing licence, which from memory is about NZ$130 for 12 ths & covers 90% of the countries' fishable water, no licence required for sea fishing.

Would best suit an ardent fly fisher however anyone keen to learn would be welcome & personal tuition provided if required.

Expressions of interest invited from anyone keen to take up on the chance of a once in a lifetime trip, that for a number of various reasons, may well be the last such deal offered.

Cheers Barry
Sign me up!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very gracious of you Barry, hope someone takes you up on the offer. :thumb:Trip to NZ is not in the card's for me anytime soon, but will look you up when I'm in your neck of the woods
Wow MM ............ that is very complimentary of you & have never been described as gracious before but probably with good reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sign me up!!
Are you serious or thinking in that direction ?

If so best you contact me asap likewise anyone else that may be genuinely interested.

Mid April to Mid May not an option as we will be in China for that period.

Cheers Barry

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Cheers Barry
Offer now taken via word of mouth, only subject to finalising mutually suitable dates & itinerary.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Barry, in the US when we hear of NZ trout fishing we are shown photos of 10 pound (4.5 Kg) trout on dry flies and are told that it's common place. When I look at your fishing photos, I see trout more akin to the size of what we find here in Colorado.

My question is, are those specimens we see on the websites of the expensive guides in your country only from private waters? Are the fish we see on your blog more of what someone can expect from fishing NZ's public waters?

Also, which island do you live on? What is your home river? Or do you move all around in the mobile home all the time?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Barry, in the US when we hear of NZ trout fishing we are shown photos of 10 pound (4.5 Kg) trout on dry flies and are told that it's common place. When I look at your fishing photos, I see trout more akin to the size of what we find here in Colorado.

My question is, are those specimens we see on the websites of the expensive guides in your country only from private waters? Are the fish we see on your blog more of what someone can expect from fishing NZ's public waters?

Also, which island do you live on? What is your home river? Or do you move all around in the mobile home all the time?
Very good questions Tangler & I will do my best to answer them.

Firstly I live in Auckland ( Nth Is ) NZs' largest city & altho the sea fishing is very rewarding apart from a few small "put & take" lakes & maybe one rather uninspiring river, there are no trout fishing water to speak of less than about a 2 1/2 drive. There is quite a bit of trout fishing water north of Auckland but once again nothing of note due to the warmer climate. Approaching the central Nth Is central plateau area the fishing becomes more serious. Large trout are certainly not in great numbers in most of the rivers but there are exceptions such as the Ngongataha stream in Rotorua & several of the lakes particularly if manmade for hydro power generation, due to the fact there is a huge food source created when farmland is flooded to form the lake then these big fish in turn run the feeder streams to spawn. Lake Aniwhenua that features in the pics when it was originally formed, grew a high population of trophy fish & was not uncommon to catch two in a day initially, but as happens anywhere they tend to "shrink" once the population increases along with the competition for food. Will be interesting to see if the
fish in that lake once again reach trophy size since it was recently almost drained & the exposed areas bulldozed free of weed.

There are other rivers that consistently produce trophy size fish for one reason or another but are mostly in the upper reaches that require a tramp in, or if you are lazy, rich or both flying in by chopper. Without specifically targeting them I personally have only ever landed three 10 lb.+ fish but am certain having seen them jump have hooked then lost four or five & all have been in water not renowned for holding trophy fish.

The Sth Is has much more fishing water much of it relatively remote so probably offers a better chance of trophies if that is your thing. Then there are the hydro canals, where along with escapee salmon from the farms a day or two fishing will almost guarantee a 10 to 20 lb or plus but is hardly inspirational fishing as they have reached that size by gorging on pellet food spillage from the salmon cages.

I could end up going around in circles trying to give concise answers so to summarise will say fishing in NZ is more about the complete experience ( please don't ask me to explain that just now ) than the number or size of fish caught. No most rivers will not offer a high chance of a trophy fish despite what the promotional material might suggest but if it was a high priority would most likely be achievable by concentrating effort in certain waters. Re the authenticity of promotional blurb ...... is that any different anywhere in the world plus much of it comes from visiting anglers & writers. For instance I once read a US report that contained absolute rubbish such as being able to speak Spanish would be helpful which caused much amusement down here resulting in us referring to each other as Amigo & one or two characters wearing somberos.

I have fished in Colorado so feel reasonably qualified to harbour an opinion on the subject & would suggest if catching a heap of large fish was the sole priority then there would undoubtedly be better destinations than NZ, however reckon most that have fished here, would agree that the overall experience is hard to beat.

Re private waters they are very rare & even then permission to fish is seldom refused. 95% of water throughout the country would be open to any licence holder to fish, altho access across private land is often via land owners permission which is seldom denied & can say I have never personally been refused.

Hope that goes part way to telling it as it is but have to confess that after going around in so many hoops trying to explain, am now feeling quite confused myself.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You did a fantastic job in explaining, very much appreciated. I completely understand the "experience" aspect and how it cannot be quantified in the way that a simple photo of a large fish can. We have similar trade offs in Colorado when choosing between trophy hunting and beauty and solitude.

I have another question that will probably cause you anguish. What is your favorite NZ wine? Multiple answers are fine ;D

Also, where did you fish when you came to Colorado?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did a fantastic job in explaining, very much appreciated. I completely understand the "experience" aspect and how it cannot be quantified in the way that a simple photo of a large fish can. We have similar trade offs in Colorado when choosing between trophy hunting and beauty and solitude.

I have another question that will probably cause you anguish. What is your favorite NZ wine? Multiple answers are fine ;D

Also, where did you fish when you came to Colorado?

Questions about wine cause me anguish ? No way as is one of my interests therefore have to say you seem to have the knack of asking the right questions. Actually we were on a 10 acre block on the city outskirts & my interest in wine lead to my planting approx. 500 vines for our home production of wine.

I made the mistake of planting too many varieties consequent spray programs & suchlike became something of a nightmare as they became staggered due to the differing schedules required. Anyway be that as it may I planted the following :-
Gewurtztraminer = a low yielding early fruiting variety from the Alsace region but with very distinctive aromatic properties

Cabernet sauvignon = Grown in many counties around the world.

Malbec & merlot = both stand alone wines & used for blending with the cab sav in order try to produce a Bordeux style of claret.

Sauvignon Blanc = a relatively new variety introduced from Davis university by Ross Spence who was studying winemaking there & now NZ's largest grown variety by far, largely due to it being in favour overseas hence is exported in ever increasing volumes ... more on that later.

Chenin blanc = a variety largely from the Loire valley , not widely grown elsewhere apart from South Africa where it is known as "Steen"

Shiraz :- From Sthn France was experimental, as it is generally accepted is better suited better suited to Australias' warmer climate & in some years could struggle to ripen in NZ. However with the gradual change in global warming the NZ product is gaining growing recognition of the NZ product being more refined whereas the traditional Australian equivalent are becoming heavier with high alcohol often approaching 15% tending to make them a tad overpowering as well as unforgiving next morning.

Pinot noir :- the classical burgundy variety grown successfully in very few countries & the French appellation area is very small so as the NZ product is gaining ever increasing recognition worldwide as a worthy competitor.

Pinotage :- grown only in NZ & South Africa. Could be likened in certain aspects to your Zindfandel nevertheless has quite a following of devotees particularly in the UK. Unfortunately the initial cuttings introduced here were infected by fan leaf virus consequently did not ripen completely making them rather acidic. However the infected vines have now been ripped out & the virus free replacements are showing promise. The name Pinotage come from the crossing of two vinifera varieties namely pinot noir & hermitage but the latter was a misnomer for was actually an obscure variety by the name of cinsault.

Palomino :- to produce sherry.

Table grapes :- a couple of US labrusca varieties.

OK as to those wines I personally favour would include but not be restricted to are :-
Sauvignon blanc obviously but despite it being in vogue overseas must admit having drunk so much often find after a couple of glasses the herbaceous character becomes a bit tiring similar to having eaten too much ice cream. Therefore generally speaking nowadays prefer a pinot gris.

Pinot noir :- softer & more complex than most reds plus enjoy the P/N rose's so enough said.

Chardonnay :- the white burgundy variety when it was in vogue years ago, too many poor examples were made locally to cash in on the name, so it largely fell from grace, however now producers are concentrating more on quality so it is making a comeback with some fine examples now available.

Bubbly :- but who doesn't ?

Flor fino Sherry :- if I had to choose one wine only to drink for the rest of my life this would be it, as it is admirably suited to most if not all occasions.

OK ... once again probably far more than you wanted to know & now regret asking so will leave the fishing queries re Colorado for later if you were still interested.

Phew ....... that was lucky as took the precaution of copying the above before posting which was just as well as when I posted it advised I had timed out !

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Damn, that is impressive! Flor fino sherry has officially been added to my previously non-existent list of types of wine I need to try. I was originally wondering if you have any specific favorite NZ regions/vineyards/wines, but sounds like the answer is "your back yard."

Still interested, where did you fish in Colorado?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn, that is impressive! Flor fino sherry has officially been added to my previously non-existent list of types of wine I need to try. I was originally wondering if you have any specific favorite NZ regions/vineyards/wines, but sounds like the answer is "your back yard."

Still interested, where did you fish in Colorado?
Almost impossible to be definitive re favourite wines or regions Tangler due to the diversity. However I can tell you which regions generally speaking are recognised for certain types of wine.

Sauvignon Blanc = Marlborough region for the very popular herbaceous aromatic styles with Hawkes bay area producing more refrained styles more in keeping with the bordeux style.

Gewutztraminer = Gisborne river flats area.

Pinot Gris = East Cape area.

Reds = Hawkes bay

Pinot Noir = Wairarapa in the Nth Is & Otago high country in the South Is

Sherry / port = Unfortunately very little produced now, largely due to the govt slapping a heavy tax on the higher alc. fortified wines. Must say I miss the very affordable flor fino style sherries that were produced here as now can only buy the far more expensive Spanish product such as Tio Pepe.

As an aside as far as spirits are concerned each country produces it from whatever they have a surplus of, that will ferment & subsequently be distilled. EG you guys us cereals & grains, Russia much the same whereas France mainly relies on the residual sugar left in the grapes after the juice has gone into wine. You may be interested to learn that NZ basically being a farm producing country that produces huge volumes of milk each day & as the various by products are drawn off in turn finally only
a watery kind of whey remains. This used to be fed back onto the paddocks but as it still has a certain sugar content it is now fermented then distilled to produce alc spirit that goes on to produce vodka, gin, fortifying spirit etc.

OK where did I fish in Colorado ... whew .... been so much water passed under the bridge ( no pun intended ) since then am having trouble remembering. Altho based in Cannon City, I can remember attending the flyfishing expo in Denver & as for rivers the Taylor & Guniston seem to ring a bell. On a couple of occasions at considerable expense fished private water & recall fishing a river that ran past a hatchery where I caught a number of coho albeit well spent examples after their long arduous journey to reach their spawning grounds.

Unfortunately altho I can post pics to many sites I don't seem to be able to figure how to on this site otherwise could have posted some maybe you might have recognised the rivers they were taken on or by. Could probably e-mail some to you if you particularly wanted to try figure where they might be taken.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Your private stretch near a hatchery sounds like the East River for the kokanee salmon zombies. If you fished near Canon then it was the Arkansas River. Both very beautiful parts of our state.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your private stretch near a hatchery sounds like the East River for the kokanee salmon zombies. If you fished near Canon then it was the Arkansas River. Both very beautiful parts of our state.
The East river sounds vaguely familiar but don't remember that as being private & if so was not asked to contribute but recall the car park being fairly close to both the hatchery & the river. Unsure about the Arkansas but may well have been one of them. Fished both near & far from Canon city, can remember going thu a canyon somewhere, also staying overnight in a town that consisted mainly of colleges or universities. Also at times were within sight of the Rockies, however my host seemed to own endless condo's almost everywhere within the state, so had no idea where I was half the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Off to China in a couple of hours so short of acquiring a tame coromant there probably will not be any additional fishing reports from "down under" for 3 weeks or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormorant_fishing

However there are a couple of updates from recent trips towards the bottom of the opening page at :-

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16161&start=915

Cheers
WOW, Cool **** Bazzanz, I'd like to be able to tie a noose around a cormorant (damn fish eatin bastards,yeah I'm a hypocrite)
Have fun, good luck,cheers!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts