Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In laws just signed on a new home in the Placerville area not far from Telluride. Seems that the closest water body is a spot called Woods Lake. After doing some research online, it seems that the wildlife dept poisoned the fish to re-stock with cut throat trout, and fishing is all catch and release, lure/fly only on that lake. Would like to know if any of you have fished it, if it's any good these days, or if you have any other suggestions for decent spots in the area, preferably where we can keep some for the table as well, but not necessary.

I'm from Eastern Canada, used to fishing for bigger species like pike, bass, musky, sturgeon and carp. Understandably, small trout aren't at the top of my game, but I do fish them in upper New York state a couple times a year, and fished for stocked trout at my in laws current house on Trout lake near Telluride a couple summers ago. Nothing too big, caught some bows up to 13 inches, and browns up to 14.5 inches.

Will probably be visiting in the summer of 2015.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Actually the closest water is about 10 feet from thier front doorstep. The San Miguel river runs right through Placerville. From Placerville the drive up to Miramonte Lake isn't all that far either - probably about 40 miles if that. If I knew the back roads, there is a road over to Groundhog lake just past Dunton on the road from Telluride to Delores - Cortez area. Groundhog Lake has some good size trout in it. Further on over Lizzardhead pass you eventually end up at McPhee lake where you can find some bass. The Deloras River runs all the way from Lizzardhead down to McPhee with some good fishing as well. Don't limit yourselves to just Woods Lake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Saw the boat rental on Groundhog that looks good, some nice sized trout. The Dolores seems to have very small fish (at least by my standards), and I will probably have younger kids with me, so I don't know how much river wading I'll be doing. Mcphee reservoir looks like a nice sized place, as does ridgeway resevoir. Do these areas have public boat launches?

·
Registered
485 Posts
All the lakes I mentioned have pubic boat launches. The boat rentals at Groundhog aren't much to brag about. They work but look like they would be uncomfortable sitting on wooden benches for very long. We take my brother in laws boat and have never had any problem launching from Groundhog unless they run the lake down for downriver irrigation.

You would be surprised that both the Deloras and San Miguel do get some fair size fish mixed in and the streams aren't that hard to wade although I would watch the kiddos so they don't get themselves in trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the boat rental did seems overprices by our standards, especially for what you get. Don't have a boat up there yet, was planning to get a small one and leave it up on trout lake a couple years ago, but then the lake authority drained most of the lake to fix the dam. It's been like that ever since, though they say it should be filled by next summer.

Now they won't be on a waterfront property any more, the new place is some sort of ranch, which leaves me in a field :( That's what I get for marrying into a family of skiers :rolleyes:

Will definitely bring along some waders just in case. Are the river C&R only?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Placerville is quite close to Ridgway, the reservoir and tailwater below are easy to fish, though I don't know the quality of the reservoir. The river holds some nice fish. Woods canyon got some good recommendations a couple of years ago, so would think when it gets over the poisoning it should have good fishing. San Miguel is very nice with some decent access.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again all for your help, after reviewing the list, think my main focus areas will be the San Miguel River, and either Groundhog or Ridgway reservoirs, hopefully I can get a boat on either one. The parks and wildlife brochure claims possibility of 10-20 lb browns on Ridgway, is that true / up to date?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts