Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously most of us in here are fishing freaks with an obsession ....My wife makes fun of all the magazines, dvd's,tapes,books,maps, and anything else I get my fishing information from .....I have hundreds of fishing magazines and books ...what fishing aid has helped you out the most ? Don't say coloradofisherman.com thats a given !!!!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me it has been In-Fisherman. I own every video ever made and have been a subsriber since day one. I keep all the old magazines even! I also got to go out to In-fisherman headquarters 10 years ago and got to fish with Doug Stange and Toad Smith kinda by accident. I was fishing a local lake while I was out there and they stopped by for fishing. Great discussion we had. They are very open to helping other fisherman.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow ...now thats a library ....ive got a bunch of bass videos for infisherman and the clear water presentations the talk about always work for me at the arsenal and carter......talk about a legacy they've built .....have you ever applied for a master angler award through them ? I've gotten a few from the division of wildlife but would really like one from infisherman

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife says fishing is my other girlfriend! LOL! :-*

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I had a dollar for everytime I heard ...fishing is more important then I am from my wife .....I tell her every time that she can go but for some reason that just isnt enough

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have gotten three with a fourth pending: one for my 48" tiger muskie from Lon Hagler, one for my 29 lb channel last year from Lonetree, one for my flathead of out of Swanson Res., and the fourth one (pending) for my 29 lb channel from Big Thompson Ponds.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Three prime sources:

(1)  Interaction with other serious fishermen;
(2)  Experience on the water trying different things;;
(3)  Anything I can get my hands on in the way of written  or  electronic information.

I have been helped out tremendously in learning about fishing for big lake trout by 4 or 5 really knowledgeable Utah fishermen who post on the Utah message board on www.bigfishtackle.com.  Those guys shortened my learning curve by several years, I'm sure.  They didn't always spoonfeed me, but gave me hints about lures and techniques that were the product of years and years of experience on the water. I've even had the opportunity to fish with a couple of them in the past year, and learned even more.

Bottom line - I don't think there is anything as valuable as fishermen helping fishermen.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
CM29

I agree with you on InFisherman's products and shows...

Add in other fisherman and the web and trial and error and you have it covered...

They are very open to helping other fisherman.
...they better be or they arent going to be in business very long!...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I might add 1 book to the list, I just picked up and it is a great information resource..."fishing close to home" it lists a bunch of lakes and streams (150+) close to the denver metro area... While I'm not in the denver area some of them are pretty close and it would help alot of you guys that always aske where can I fish in "insert area here"

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don In Denver said:
Three prime sources:

(1)  Interaction with other serious fishermen;
(2)  Experience on the water trying different things;;
(3)  Anything I can get my hands on in the way of written  or  electronic information.

Bottom line - I don't think there is anything as valuable as fishermen helping fishermen.
Agreed.
Also I'm a NAFC member and the books they send really help. Of course it's not specific to Colorado, but I have used new techniques and stuff I have read about and it has really helped my fishing.

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
I have learned from 2 main ways:
1:eek:ther f-men who know their sh*t'
2:pRACTICE!
I agree that local info is the best -really accelerates the learning curve!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I 've been fishing and learning tips, tricks, secrets, fish identity, and locations since I was a kid. After talking to some of the other folks out while fishing, I've came to realize that I know much more than alot of folks out there. I always thought it was a normal thing but as we all know it's not. I'm sure most of you guys here can relate. We're just fishing demons that are truly obessed with being on the water.

I agree with all of you!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you get the "touch" when you start going out and learning. I fish once, sometimes twice, a day for 8 hour periods and I always try to try something new.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I think a lot of fisherman dont pay enough attention to detail and think about things logically concerning that detail...I watch my friends sometimes and they think they are doing the same thing once we have found a pattern but get lazy and dont follow through...or I will watch and they will have missed a hit...the line moved different or the strike indicator...and I will say you just missed a hit and they will say no I didnt...I think attention to detail is a big part of it...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once I try something and I catch a few fish on it I move on to something new. For example, I have an ice chest full of different catfish bait. You name it and its there. When I go catfishing I will use at least ten different baits trying to find out which they are hitting on. If I am using cut carp on one hook, cut bluegill on another, and two different stinkbaits on the other two I will keep the top two producers on and switch the other two with others until I get results. I never give my baits longer than thirty minutes to produce before I switch them (blood is the exception!)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive learned the most from the Nike method

JUST DO IT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts