Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand fishing line are you using? I went out and bought some 6lb line, every time I make a cast the line in mid air would tangle and turn into a knot, what's a good brand to buy?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, what he said^^^

There is a right way and wrong way to wind the line off a spool with spinning reels. I just make about 10 reel cranks and let the line fall slack, if it coils up and twists, you gotta flip the spool around. If it just relax's in a pleasant coil, you have it on the correct side.

Trilene XL is all I fish for mono on spinning reels

·
Registered
702 Posts
Love the ho water idea. Been spoolin up reels my whole life and never heard of this

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Ditto Trilene XL
x4...

And the hot water...I will just leave the reel spool in a cup of hot water over night...yes it cools off...but it retrains it...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know what brand this is, I bought this big spool a few years ago. I'm thinking it was really cheap and i'm thinking pretty old. (Bought it on sale) I think from now on i'll watch what I buy and make sure I keep fresh like on my reels! Hey thanks guys for ALL the advice, i'll be buying Trilene XL and i'll try the hot water!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't know what brand this is, I bought this big spool a few years ago. I'm thinking it was really cheap and i'm thinking pretty old. (Bought it on sale) I think from now on i'll watch what I buy and make sure I keep fresh like on my reels! Hey thanks guys for ALL the advice, i'll be buying Trilene XL and i'll try the hot water!
Also I think that xl is like 20 bucks for a spool. Seaguar red label is half that and I've never had a problem with it. That Berkeley vanish is ****. I won't even use that for a leader... pline is pretty good as well

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Is that a typo Doc...xl at 20 bucks a spool?...5 to 7 bucks for a 330 yard spool?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oof Matt! Costly mistake. I have not tried the new spinning reel specific 100% XL yet. But I hate 8# on spinning reels unless it's on a 3000 or larger reel.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts