Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Kind of been hanging out reading everyones posts for a while. A lot of really great information from you. So first off, hello!

A fishing buddy of mine and I were in a conversation last week about fishing line vs tippet. When I say fishing line I'm basically referring to Stren, Berkley, etc. you would put on your spinning reel.

I don't spin fish really anymore (not that there is anything wrong with it :)) but I do have a bunch of spools of various mono and flouro line. Does anyone out there know what/if any the difference would be in constructing leaders from standard fishing line as opposed to 1X,2X...5X tippet material or is it the same thing?

I'm thinking I will more then likely stick to my store bought leaders for nymphing and dries, but was going to get out and toss the streamers and thought any old fishing line would probably do provided I put a little taper to it.

Thanks guys,
Bryan

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I make my own leaders from mono, and tippet is tippet, it's the end of my line that connects my fly to my leader. Tippet is just specialized mono.....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Theoretically tippet is stiffer than mono to help the fly turn over, but in practice, brand to brand that's just not the case. You can't beat flouro for streamers and/or nymphing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The difference is in the diameter/strength. Some 6x is 3 lb test. Trilene 2 lb test has about a 4-5x diameter equivalency. I use plenty of 2/4 lb trilene on freestoners. The good "tippett" is needed on the tailwaters. The high cost is due to getting the low diameter/high strength.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
frankfurter3 said:
The difference is in the diameter/strength. Some 6x is 3 lb test. Trilene 2 lb test has about a 4-5x diameter equivalency. I use plenty of 2/4 lb trilene on freestoners. The good "tippett" is needed on the tailwaters. The high cost is due to getting the low diameter/high strength.
what he said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts