Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

what kind of fishing line do use for your jack of all trades rod . one day bass the next trout and s

• mono

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • braided

• florocarbon

• other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to see what everyone else uses . the rod I leave in my truck has berkley trilene extra tough 8lb . Never lets me down even when i over shoot myself and end up catfishing with it .

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I use nothing but Cajun Red except for my trolling rod I use Silver Thread which is Copolymer.

Im not sure if Cajun Red is a mono or a floro?

Cajun Red is by far the best line ive ever used, Hands down.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think the cajun red would work well on a bait caster....

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I use it on one of my baitcaster sticks and it works fine. I know its best for spinning but like I said I use it on my baitcaster too.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I use Berkley "Vanish" on just about every rod I own, 6lb test. I'm convinced I catch more fish with it. Only negative is that it does fray alittle bit now and then, so you need to be sure you check your line. I truely believe that with all the fishing pressure around here, fish get conditioned to seeing line. Especially through the ice. I can't wait to use the new "transition" this winter. Gold above the water, clear below ;).

·
Registered
247 Posts
i used the iron silk line and liked it alot. I have been toying with the idea of trying cajun red though. Glad to see some others already use it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aaron said:
P-line florocarbon and floroclear are my favorites.
Those are my new favorites now, too, at least oin the heavier sizes.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Around here Berkley XL 6 and 10. I do use 6lb Vanish on ultralight rod. If I am using baitcaster in Colorado I will use 12 BigGame. Bass fishing in Kansas nothing but 20lb BG.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cant go wrong with 8lb clear blue stren for everyday for bigger stuf i like power pro green for the sensitivity

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Fireline with an 8' Vanish fluro leader joined with a nail knot. I really do think in clear water and on pressured lakes, fish get line shy and the fluro fools them better. I'm conmvinced I'm getting more bites than when I just used braid. Ed

·
Registered
664 Posts
for my casting type rods (not fly rods) I use 20lb Pro Line microfilament with a 3' Leader of 8lb stren. I really like the Pro Line; it lasts forever, very strong, little memory, and has the diameter of 6lb mono, plus the company is based in Colorado.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Right-on, Ed!

I use 8# Fireline on my bass twig. For bubble fishing, I also have 8# Fireline with a 6# Trilene (clear mono) leader. Backlash has dropped to nominal levels... casting distance has increased greatly... and the sensitivity is outstanding.

As with any line, I still strip-off about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of line and re-tie everytime I head out to the lake.

It's been a fun year so far!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just a little nit picking here but the vast majority of the flourocarbon lines are mono a few just use a flouro coating. i think when you refered to "mono" you ment nylon as that is what the majority of nonflourocarbon mono is made from, also braid covers the older dacron types along with leadcore and other braided trolling line and the newer microbraid, incuding spectra, kevlar,and microdynema thease all have a much smaller dia than equivlant mono

any time im fishing deep or trolling long lines i like the micro braids for the rest of the time i use "vanish" flourocarbon if im in a spot where i need extra line capacity like catching carp on 2 pound test i fill most of my spool with a micro braid just slightly stronger than the flouro so i dont get spooled

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The only problem-well two actually-I have with Vanish is its real springy and unruly on spinning reels if you use it by itself instead of just a short leader. And its real stretchy. So IMHO it makes a good leader but if I want a mono type line I use the Yozuri Hybrid which is a mono with a fluro coating. But mostly I just use the Fireline with a clear leader. Ed

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
cajun red lightnin works real good for me
and i like how it disappears in a few feet of water

but when i have to cast a long way i like
breakaway long distance line
and its a copolymer line just like the cajun red

1 - 20 of 48 Posts