Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

fishing line.

3K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  fishinguitars 
G
#1 ·
I know this topic has came up more than a few times but I thought I would share this with everyone.

I recently purchased two 100 yard spools of Berkley extra smooth. These smaller spools are great for knowing how much line your putting on your reel. Like most anglers sometimes I put a little to much line on my reel and it makes for a mess as soon as you open the bail to cast. I rigged both of my ulra light spinning combo's with 100 yards of Berkley extra smooth a piece. First cast was great this line casts "smooth" and everything was perfect with knowing just how much line was on each reel. Very satisfied in the first 10 minutes or so until I got snagged on a rock. Usually when I get snagged I'll tug and pull at different angle's until I wedge my lure loose. As soon as I put a little tension on this line SNAP!!! There goes a brand new F7 rapala. Thinking this might have been some kind of freak accident I continued to use the line. Five minutes later I see a big cuttbow cruising the shallows of the dream stream and notice this fish is without a doubt feeding. A diagnal cast into the current brought my rapala right into this large cuttbows sight. BAM!!! he hammers it! That line snapped like I was using 2lb test and a 20 pound nothern just hit it. If your in the market for trying out new lines I would steer clear of the Berkley extra smooth. I'm sure some people love it but I had to share my expierence with this line so maybe I can save someone losing a really nice fish.

On a postive note I switced over to P-line 8 pound florocarbon coated copolymer. Castablity, knot stregth, memory I think I've found my new line, and would recomend it to anyone!

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had that same problem with Berkely Smooth casting too. I been using Berkely Sensation now, it's by far the best line I can buy out here. Most importantly it can take the beating of a couple days fishing on a river bouncing worms - something that fluorocarcon can't! Every fluorocarbon I've ever used craps out after one river fishing trip - it won't even hold a knot!

Another great line is "Ande" It used to be my go-to line when I was out battling 40 lb kings or 10 lb steelhead on a daily basis back home. It's a whole new world when you put serious stick to a 40+ fish! (I can see why it's not needed out here in Colorado ;)). They do make line down to 2lb test and it's awesome!

http://www.andemonofilament.com

#6 ·
I've tried the P-Line. In fact, it's still on my lure rig. It's OK, but it's kind of like fishing with a rubber band. Strikes don't feel as hard and I never feel like I have a decent hook-set. Also, if a fish comes off while bringing it in... DUCK!

However, I think it's terrific for leader material when I'm tossing the fly and bubble.

When the P-line is done, I'm spooling Fireline back on my rig. It's on all my others so I'm real comfortable and confident using it.

I don't think any thread about fishing lines is over used. I like hearing others experience with the many different kinds of line that's available these days. In fact, because of a thread like this, I'm going to try some Trilene for my ice-fishing rigs this season.

G
#8 ·
well I fished the blue today and the for me the jury is still out on the p-line. After fishing all weekend in the cold weather where my line would get ice built up on it I think I lost alot of stregth. I broke off on a couple snags that I barely pulled on. I might be going back to good old trusty. Berkley extra tough!!!

With fire line are you guys using a leader. That stuff looks highly visable.

#11 ·
pline floroclear is AWESOME for icefishing.
For river fishing, I used trilene products for a long time. I broke off so many large fish (10 plus pounders) it was getting ridiculous! I switched to original stren and have found it to be a lot stronger, better lasting and overall better quality. I use the 6 pound on the colorado, white and gunnison rivers and 4 pound on smaller rivers (smaller fish) or streams. I have noticed that 6 pound test is probably the heaviest line you should use for trout. anymore heavy and the line won't sink fast enough and the larger trout might not like the presentation and are line shy. Just a thought.

#12 ·
Yeah,we all have a favorite line. Mine is and has been Trilene XL 6lb test. Clear. Always stays limp,rarely break the line -only after 5 or 6 nice trout without retying. Ive caught prolly 5 carp at 20lbs or larger on this line no prob. Hate Stren-it always broke off. Thats my $ .02.

#15 ·
fishinguitars said:
thats my only problem with Berkley Extra Tough is that after a day or two of use it looks like the curly fries at arbys
agreed. it is great for that first day though.

#19 ·
i agree power pro with stren leader is very tough to beat best of bolth worlds . 6lb clear blue stren is the only way fo myself

#20 ·
I have the power pro/ stren leader on all my rigs. I have no complaints. One of the best things about it is that it almost lasts forever, no need to respool. My did fishes the mississippi in MN for smallmouth almost daily and he can get 5 seasons out of a spool of power pro.

#26 ·
I tried the low-vis green for the first time this year and I can't see it in or out of the water.

I imagine it would lose some of its camouflage early in the season when the heavy runoff has slowed and the water runs clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.