Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you keep a fising log and if so what type of info do you keep. such as water temp, air temp, lure selection, weather info, is there anything else you keep. i have desidied to start keeping a log and will incorperate pictures of the fish i catch. when logging info on the fish what measurements would you keep. should i purchase a scale? how accruate are say the zebco deliar? iam headed to barnes and noble today to pick up a nice leather bound ledger to start keeping the log. my theory is that i will pass it down to my grandson if i have one or my nephews. any suggestion would be great

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I like the digital scales better than any spring scales I ever owned. I have the Rapala digital scale which I like because it displays in pounds and ounces rather than pounds and tenths of pounds, as some of them do. The only problem is the size; they make the digital scales way too big to fit into my ultralight box, and there is no reason for it, the actual electronics would fit into a space the size of a postage stamp.

Although I am too lazy to keep up a fishing log myself, I think your idea is a good one. Your grandchildren if any would value it, not so much for the exact data, as for the fact that it was you that wrote it. So I'd say put in any of the facts that you feel are pertinent, but also put in your personal impressions as well, whatever comes to mind about the day.

Regards, W. E.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i keep a fishing log of all my ice fishing trips, i record the weather,size and type of fish caught,what time they were caught and on what, and where on the lake we caught or saw a lot of fish,and any other info i think that i might need to remember. it has helped me figure out some places that we fish pretty regular.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I keep a log in my PDA (which also happens to be my phone :D).

I record the place, date, water & air temp, depth, time of day, weather conditions, lures, trolling speed and any other comments I might have related to what I caught. I transfer these files to my PC afterwards and, if I'm lucky, I'll even read them at some point next season! I also agree with W.E. and I like those digital scales. The one I use is from Berkley and looks like this:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have a log but only used it once or twice... but I take a ton of pictures and date the folder and lake on my computer so its kindo of a visual log.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the suggestions i have desided to log location,date and time, water temp, weather, lure, type of presiation, linght and gurth of fish along with pictures. anyone think of something i am missing. purchased a nice leather log book from barns and noble and a nice pen hope to create a family treasure. i really started thinking of this when my grandfather past away this year he always had the best fishing stories i even called him on several occations to pick his brain about lakes he had fished in the past. most of the time his suggestion got me on the right track. i heard this saying one time and i have always thought of my grandpa. " a freind or reliative should not teach a child to fish unless of course that person has something against the child, because fishing can become such an obestion" iam sure glad my granpa had something against me and taught me to fish.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I get these "dayminder" calenders at work for appointments,meetings,etc. but I use them for my fishing log instead!I began logging in 1992, and every trip is recorded in there.I record #'s and size and type of fishcaught,how I caught them and where.Maybe weather if its remarkable,not much else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've kept a complete log for almost ten years now. I'm very glad to have some of the early seasons now -- the memory gets foggy! Wish I would have started ten years earlier.

I just use a small spiral notebook, generally one per year, since I've been using the same format for entries so long that it's second nature. You're planning on recording more info than I always do, but that seems smart. 99% of the time I'm fly fishing, so I usually note what kind of bugs I see as adults or nymphs -- you may want to consider that if it has value. Obviously water temp, river flows and other seasonal info helps in planning future trips.

But what I really like to look back on was things that aren't directly fishing related: i.e. what time of year I saw Western Tanagers on the Gunnison, moose sightings, jokes friends told me, good bars/cafes I stumbled upon, garter snake I found dead with a sculpin stuck in his mouth, fly patterns strangers showed me, dunkings I've taken, etc.

Good luck! You're doing a good thing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't keep a log of every trip but most of them and especially if I picked up a pattern that could be a annual event and include all valuable information Its definatly helped me out before. A couple days late on some hot bites and its all over with.

·
0 Posts
I get a fishing calendar from the IN-FISHERMAN MAGAZINE every year,use it as my fishing log and I keep them after the year is over in my Fisching Trunck,so I can look up the pre. year what I have used,where did I go,e.t.c
G.R.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the sugesttions i made my first entry yesterday. sunshine bought me a digital camera to take fish and wouldnt you know it i used up the battery befroe going went to take my first pic and no battery. so first entry no pick or water temp. themomiter missing from vest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts