Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the area and have been looking for a good lake close to fish. I drove out to McKay today and looks like a decent lake, and saw plenty of lures stuck in trees and stickups.

I've been fishing for 30 years, most of it in KY. I love catching a mess of bluegills or crappie for a fish fry. I'll even keep a catfish every now and then. From reading about McKay is seems like fishing was bad several year ago after the lake was drained, but has it came back?

Also are there any other lakes within a 30 minute drive from Broomfield that would be good for me and my wife to bank fish?

Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
I live by McKay Lake and it gets pounded by illegal bait fisherman. There are a few fish in it but it is a poor fishery. The DOW very seldom patrols it and it gets abused badly!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live by McKay Lake and it gets pounded by illegal bait fisherman. There are a few fish in it but it is a poor fishery. The DOW very seldom patrols it and it gets abused badly!
That sucks. I went to get my license today, and got told I had to live in the state for 6 months before I could get in state license, but i had to have drivers lic in 30 days and plates for vehicle in 90 days. That doesn't make sense to me. So now I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the extra $30 to get out of state, or just skip fishing till next year... This sucks

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Welcome to Colorful Colorado!!! Tongue in cheek of course! :thumb:

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
That license is still the cheapest part of going...if you take your significant other to a movie and you get a soda and popcorn...there's 30 bucks for 2 hours...

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
That license is still the cheapest part of going...if you take your significant other to a movie and you get a soda and popcorn...there's 30 bucks for 2 hours...
and you still have a great chance at going home skunked!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Broke down and got my lic. today. Going to Boyd Lake with the inlaws this weekend. Hopefully I can find a place to fish while they play on the boat...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts