Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at moving to Colorado Springs from Arkansas and see that there are a lot of places to fish in the area but don't really know how much different it is from Arkansas lakes and rivers.

I have a 1648 aluminum boat with a 30 hp four stroke and I am trying to decide if it would be useful in the area or if I would be better off selling it before I move and using the money towards other things. Would this type of a boat be usable fishing out west? Could I just throw a different outboard on with a jet foot and have places to use it?

Also, any other words of wisdom for someone looking to move in to the area would be appreciated. I think I will be making a short trip out in September to look around and see how my wife likes it. It looks like there are a lot of hunting opportunities in the area which is great!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Your boat will work well here in CO. Not many fishing opportunities here in CS-Quail,
Prospect, Pikeview, Willow Springs ponds are all, IMO, small and marginal fisheries. But down the road is Brush Hollow and Pueblo and you can do much better there. If you're after trout there are quite a few places in the mountains not far from CS.

The fishing here is different than AR but we have walleye and bass so it won't be a big change from where you are. The thing that is really different is we have fewer and smaller lakes to fish than you are probably used to.

I spent alot of time fishing Bull Shoals and Norfolk yrs ago-sure do wish we had lakes like that here.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
there are 8 lakes that are within 75 miles of the springs, that that boat would be OK for, I fished all of them with a 14 foot boat that I carried on top of my truck and camper and a 5 hp motor. you do have to be aware of the weather with a boat like that, bad weather can come up fast here, but you can duck into a cove and wait it out, most of the time the bad weather will pass in an hour

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now that you've been there how did it turn out with your boat? I'm moving there in September with a 17' CC from California and wondering whether to bring it.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Now that you've been there how did it turn out with your boat? I'm moving there in September with a 17' CC from California and wondering whether to bring it.
In September you'll be able to buy whatever you want here pretty easily. Nobody wants the hassle of winterizing and storing so prices go down and you'll have your pick!

But if you like the boat you already own, don't mind hauling it out here and have a place to keep it, bring it on out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Consider a foot powered kayak. You can fish any major lake and shore launch without worry of the gates closing at the ramps.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Yeah, we've had so many new members asking the same question I thought screw it just leave this one since it isn't that old. Need to make the Search drop down box florescent orange I guess! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help, looks like I'll keep it and bring it unless I can get a good deal for it in September, it's a great boat so want to keep using it as long as I can before I move.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
If you want to become shore scum, ditch the boat. Otherwise-

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you want to become shore scum
I resemble that remark. Around the Springs, probably only Pueblo fishes better from boat than shore, though I have my suspicions. Spinney from tube or toon. I find everything at Elevenmile from shore regardless the season. Consider too that Denver metro is no farther than the mountains, especially from the north side of the springs. Anything south of GoG is ghetto anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts