Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my wife has a conference at the Broadmoor in Colorado Spring at the end of March (24-29) and I've decided to tag along. I'm looking to occupy my time so I though I'd try to get out and do some fishing while I'm there.

Does anyone have any suggestion of a good place with in an hour or so of Colorado Springs at that time of year?

I know this might be a little early in the season and I know the flows maybe up so I'm ok with still water fishing. Also I don't mind hiking so if there is some hiking involved that's no problem for me. However I would still consider myself a novice fly fishermen, I've only been fly fishing for a couple of years.

Just looking for any input or suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The Arkansas below Pueblo res-about a 45 min drive. Good fishing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you're a novice, a trip to Cheeseman probably won't get you any fish, but the scenery is killer. Deckers is cool, but the fishing can be tough at times for someone not familiar with it. If you're dying to catch fish and are willing to hire a guide, call Anglers Covey in the Springs and fish 11-mile Canyon, or The Drift in Pueblo and fish the Arkansas...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! I'll be there a couple days, and looking at the map maybe I could head up to Cheeseman Canyon and Deckers one day and may head down Pueblo and fish the Arkansas the next.

Any suggestion on on good places to fish or even park along those points?

·
Registered
123 Posts
A trip to the Dream stream (Charlie Meyers SWA) could be very rewarding. SJ Worms and eggs fished on the bottom is all you need to know.Stay away on weekends though..

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks guys!! I'll be there a couple days, and looking at the map maybe I could head up to Cheeseman Canyon and Deckers one day and may head down Pueblo and fish the Arkansas the next.

Any suggestion on on good places to fish or even park along those points?
Deckers has pullouts and paid areas all along the river, private property is well posted. For Cheeseman you have to park at the Gill trail lot and hike in. The Ark has good parking in Lake Pueblo state park and the Nature Center. Be prepared for company at any of those places Friday-Sunday...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys. Anyone got any more information on The Dream Stream sounds intriguing :)

Also, looks like Deckers has a pretty nice fly shop, but are there any other suggestions of places to stop for day of conditions and fly suggestions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks again guys. Anyone got any more information on The Dream Stream sounds intriguing :)

Also, looks like Deckers has a pretty nice fly shop, but are there any other suggestions of places to stop for day of conditions and fly suggestions?
The Dream Stream is NO secret. It can be loved to death, that's why its best to avoid weekends. This is a pretty small stretch of water between Spinney and Elevenmile reservoirs. Late February-April there will be spawning runs of rainbow and cutthroats ( some pushing 10-12 lbs). Avoid the shallow riffles and concentrate on the deeper pools. The shittier the weather=the better your chances for active fish. Keep an eye on the wind forcasts, it can be brutal up there.. Stop by Anglers Covey in the springs or The Peak in Woodland park...Both quality shops

·
Registered
740 Posts
There is a smaller lake just a short drive up Old Stage road behind the broadmoor called Rosemont reservoir. It is fly and lure only. A pleasant 30 min hike down and about 50 min up. Lots of nice stocker bows and beautiful scenery. If I can find a link I will and I am not sure about the road condition. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Hit me up a week or so before you come to town... if the stars allign, I may be able to put you on a fun trip.

·
Registered
592 Posts

No, Deckers does not have a pretty nice fly shop, get your stuff before you go up there. Small midges 18-24, and BWOs 18-20, nymphs and dries for both, will get you fish on any of the rivers mentioned above...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really do appreciate all the advice guys, if you ever need suggestions for SE Nebraska or SW Montanan let me know

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, such hostility against a guy "just trying to scratch out a living." The fly shop in Deckers is a full,service fly shop. Danny has always given me good advise. I always stop in and say hi and buy a couple things.

Like him or not the Guy really knows the river. Sure he charges for his flies and gear. He is in business that probably only makes a profit about 6 months out of the year.

Not like people are banging down the door to buy flies in January in Deckers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts