Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends:

I am new to the area and will be camping just south of Howard over Memorial Day weekend. Would love any recommendations for fishing sites in the area! :confused:

Thank you,
TroutGirlCS

·
Registered
131 Posts
salida

Well from howard to salida is bighorn sheep canyon,excellent spot to fish the Arkansas.Around howard it's pretty much private water.Downstream to canon city is fantastic also.My favorite area is Wellsville just west of howard.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
In the town of Salida there is good fishing in Franz Lake and Sands Lake, from both lakes you can access the Arkansas River also. I've spent a lot of weekends in Salida in the past and caught a lot of fish out of both lakes, including the river. Good mayfly action on the river in late evenings or cloudy days in the Spring.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure what methods you use but be aware that the Arkansas is now a fly and lure only water, no bait or fish attractants allowed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not sure what methods you use but be aware that the Arkansas is now a fly and lure only water, no bait or fish attractants allowed.
This is not true you should read the regulations before you spread mistruth. There were no regulation changes on the Arkansas River with the Gold Medal designation. There are only two areas that are fly and lure only. The first is the Hayden Meadows area south of Leadville, the second is from stock yard bridge down river 7.5 miles to the confluence of badger creek.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Absolutely right. The only bait restriction are the sections that were in place before becoming Gold Medal.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Not to sure how you fish or if you'd rather fish the Ark or some lakes in the area. If you just want to catch some stockers..Franz..Sands as mentioned or O'haver, Cottonwood for some better scenery..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm going to try the Arkansas and see how it goes. I'm new to fly fishing and I don't have waders yet so I'll be fishing from the bank or wet wading. I'm used to cold water so that probably won't bother me. Any good small stream fishing around Salida-Buena Vista? Sounds like the Arkansas is going to be blown out.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
When the Ark is blown out the creeks will be just as bad

It would be better to fish lakes, or drive over the pass, and fish the Taylor tailwater.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
While water is running high, it's a great time to practice casting in still water... also, don't be afraid to tie on a single big fly, such as an Amy's Ant (it is dark, which is good during filthy water times) and walking the banks, casting upstream in the calm areas very near the edges.. you will learn to see them easily... splash the flies and be ready! This is a GREAT way to learn to cast and read water. High water days are not a waste on the Ark...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regulations
 Statewide bag and possession limits apply for most of river except as follows
 From US Hwy 24 overpass be- low Leadville downstream to near Two Bit Gulch (5.8 miles)
 Artificial flies and lures only
 Bag and possession limit for trout one fish 12” or shorter
 From Stockyard Bridge (Chaffee Co Rd 102) below Salida downstream to Badger Creek (7.5 miles)
 Artificial flies and lures only
 All rainbow trout must be returned to the water immediately
 Limit on brown trout is four fish of any size

1 - 15 of 15 Posts