Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANY ONE BEEN TO ANY OF THE LAKES IN WESTERN NEBRASKA?

ENDERS LAKE SWANSON RESV, OLIVER RESV, RED WILLIOW RESV.

THANKS WILL BE WAITING FOR THE INFO.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Enders is currently at 27% of capacity and Swanson it at 37%. Doesn't look good for those lakes
as there is little chance for any water to bring them up this year. Don't know how Oliver and
Red wWillow are doing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Real bad fishing in Nebraska, most lakes are almost dry, the wind blows 100mph all the time, the bugs will carry you off. I wouldn't go if I were you.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
lake mac is really good, fishing is always great .... really big fish, but the rangers are real STICKLERS. and their fishing restrictions are really strict too.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
mista tuan said:
lake mac is really good, fishing is always great .... really big fish, but the rangers are real STICKLERS. and their fishing restrictions are really strict too.
Why, because they inforce the regs?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I enjoy fishing in Neb, and find the fees to be reasonable for a non-res. license ($50). They are having some pretty severe low water, so you want to fish now before they start the summer draw-down. Big Mac is a great lake for fishing, just watch out for that wind! It will kick your axx!

Oliver is way low, too, and supposedly has not been fishing very well. You might check out the nebraska forum on the NGPC website for more info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like I always say to people looking for decent fishing in NE, instead of driving down I-80 to lake Mac and dealing with all the A holes, just turn north at Kimball and go 1 hour to Lake Minatare. It is filling right now and in a couple weeks the big cotton wood trees will be flooded and it will be awesome for float tube walleye fising. Right now its great for boat fishing along the dam and around the artificial reef by the light house. PM me for better directions.

Sure, Lake Mac has a lot of big walleyes but it seems to have an inordinate amount of out of state folks who ruin it for the rest of the people too. I prefer to fish in Lake ogalalla if I go that direction. It is the smaller lake below Kingsley dam. Lots of big trout in there. Best fishing is when they let water thru the dam every day. Its like a dinner bell for wipers and walleye.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U MISUNDERSTOOD ME I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT

LAKE MINATARE, NOT MAC OR OGALALLA. THANKS T.S.

M

·
0 Posts
fishheadd said:
U MISUNDERSTOOD ME I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT

LAKE MINATARE, NOT MAC OR OGALALLA. THANKS T.S.

Sorry Fishheadd I was addressing (and quoted) Kitchenmonkey's post. I've deleted my advice and will keep it to myself

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another little known lake to CO anglers is Box Butte Reservoir between Hemingford and Alliance, NE. This place is where we always went when i was in college at Chadron State when we needed a fish fix. This lake is chock full of pike. sometimes you can't keep them off the hook. Most aren't huge but they bite hard & fast & often and fight well. The lake is also really good for big perch and good for walleyes too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've fished Box Butte both in the summer and in the winter. It's a great lake. Always caught fish. 8) Lots of northerns, some pretty nice sized. Plenty of pan fish also. Great trees to camp under.

Always wanted to fish lake Minatare, it was to low for my boat at the time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was at Lake Minatare in western NE this weekend. The water is just starting to creep up into the trees. give it two weeks from now and get up there as the fishing should be very good. The boat ramps were accessible so walleye fishing should be very good along the dam and artificial reef. Two weeks from now you will be king in your float tube amongst the flooded cottonwoods and willows.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I fished big mac about 3 years ago when it was still almost full and the wally bite was unreal. Me and a bud were cleaning our 5 wallys (18-22")at the cleaning station when this nebraska guy and his wife walk up with a cooler full-I mean FULL OF 6-8 LB WALLYS. We counted 22 or so. He said they and their buds had been doing this for a full month already. I just wanted to say that it's not all out-of-state guys. One good thing,he told us where and on what and we ended up gettin into some nice 6-10 lbers ourselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts