Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Would you fish around a group or a guy hunting waterfowl on the lake.

• No i have respect for the hunters space.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i would fish around the duck hunters decoy spread.It public water.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this up because to day at spinney res. Me and my buddy were waterfowl hunting and a guy thought it was ok to fish 60 yards out from our spread of duck decoys. We had been there all morning and day for that fact. He told us it was public water and could fish were ever wanted too. Is there no respect for us duck hunters!!! :mad:

Any thoughts on this subject would be helpful. Am i in the right for yelling at him or is he the right one? ???

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope strait up told me it was public water and could fish any were on the lake he wished too. His buddy in the back of the boat didnt think it was a good idea to fish next to us. He was a nice guy but the old ass was stupid and made no sence at all. He say he is not breaking any law. But he is, if im right. harasment what the DOW told me on the phone tonight.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had same thing happen at lonetree a few years back. We had a group come right into the dekes (ducks that is.) We cut loose on the birds as they came around the back side away from the fishermen. Dropped three. The fisherman just laughed and yelled at us to givem hell! They apologized and moved on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I voted no - we all have rights to our space and I would no more set up next to a hunter than I would set up right next to somebody fishing. That said, a few years ago my buddy and I were up at Tarryall, fishing from that first man made berm as you come in. The was a hunter at the inlet and he unloaded right over us a couple of times. It was pretty interesting to stand there and have pellets rain down around us....seems like we had given him enough space and seems like he could have shot when they were not right over us, but...well what do I know - I don't hunt...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah it was kinda depressing to have some one mess up you hunting day and change the birds pattern, they were flying right over the decoys. But this old guy thought he was in charge and new it all. We now have a phone number to call the rangers next time it happens... ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If you asked him to move/leave and he didn't then he is breaking colorado's hunter harrassment law and can be cited. He was in the wrong legally and ethically in my book.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Bionic Man said:
What is the Colorado hunter harassment law that is being referenced?
I'm not 100% convinced it applies in this scenatio, but here's the statute--

C.R.S. 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities.

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.

(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:

(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:
(I) Use of any natural or artificial source of noise or light;

(II) Giving chase to prey on foot or by use of any vehicle;

(III) Throwing objects or making movements;

(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;

(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;

(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;

(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.

(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.

(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had two guys stop there boat and start fishing about 35yrds out from my goose spread during the western slope opener this year. I could hear them talking about the geese as they pulled up, they thought they were real. They heard me calling to a group on the opposite shoreline that had been there all day. When they stopped, I stood up and stepped out of my blind and they saw me. I heard the one say, "Oh, that guy is goose hunting, those must be decoys." They kept fishing (never caught anything), even as I pointed my gun to the horizon and swung it over there heads, basically showing them where I would be shooting at. At this point the geese from the other shoreline picked up and started flying over to my spread, about 5ft off the water screaming loud as all hell! Needless to say, they got about 60yrds out, saw the boat and banked left gaining altitude as they dissappered over the hills. The fishermen stayed put and continued to fish...I was f-ing PISSED! About 10min before shooting time that night, a merganser landed in my dekes. I usually don't shoot them, but those guys were pissing me off so, so I waited for it to get aways from my dekes and kicked it. It took off in the perfect direction, because when I folded it in the sky my pellets rained down wround the fisherman and they got the hell out! All I know is that respect for others must not be taught in kindergarden anymore.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Farian said:
I had two guys stop there boat and start fishing about 35yrds out from my goose spread during the western slope opener this year. I could hear them talking about the geese as they pulled up, they thought they were real. They heard me calling to a group on the opposite shoreline that had been there all day. When they stopped, I stood up and stepped out of my blind and they saw me. I heard the one say, "Oh, that guy is goose hunting, those must be decoys." They kept fishing (never caught anything), even as I pointed my gun to the horizon and swung it over there heads, basically showing them where I would be shooting at. At this point the geese from the other shoreline picked up and started flying over to my spread, about 5ft off the water screaming loud as all hell! Needless to say, they got about 60yrds out, saw the boat and banked left gaining altitude as they dissappered over the hills. The fishermen stayed put and continued to fish...I was f-ing PISSED! About 10min before shooting time that night, a merganser landed in my dekes. I usually don't shoot them, but those guys were pissing me off so, so I waited for it to get aways from my dekes and kicked it. It took off in the perfect direction, because when I folded it in the sky my pellets rained down wround the fisherman and they got the hell out! All I know is that respect for others must not be taught in kindergarden anymore.

Tight lines!

Let me get this straight, You purposely peppered someone? Not smart. Getting on the internet and telling others is absolutely moronic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I voted NO that I would not.. The reason i voted that is because i wouldn't want to even be around people shooting guns for safety reasons!! People are stupid and I don't trust people i don't know.. he!l i don't even trust some people i do know, with guns. LOL

I actually havn't ever even seen anyone hunting on a lake in my life anyway.. Didn't even realize it was legal to do :/ But i do have a question or two for those people who do hunt on the water......

How much of an area of a lake are you taking up in order to setup decoys ect?You talking about taking a whole cove of a lake to yourself??

I personally wouldn't have gotten mad if I was fishing and someone came 60 yards from me and started fishing.. 120' is plenty enough room!! Right?

Also what gives you the right to the area? Fisherman has rights to the area as well.. just cause you were there 1st??

What if "your cove" had a fisherman before you showed up? Would you setup in a diff. location?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
They can always close half of the lake to fishing like they do at some lakes like Jackson during waterfowl season. That is the end results of run-ins like this one.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Bionic Man said:
What is the Colorado hunter harassment law that is being referenced?
I'm not 100% convinced it applies in this scenatio, but here's the statute--

C.R.S. 33-6-115.5. Hunting, trapping, and fishing - intentional interference with lawful activities.

(1) No person shall willfully prevent or interfere with the lawful participation of any individual in the activity of hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with this article.

(2) A person commits intentional interference with lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities if he:

(a) Acts with intent to alarm, distract, or frighten prey and causes prey to flee by:

(b) Intentionally harasses any person lawfully participating in the activity of hunting, trapping, and fishing by use of threats or actions;

(c) Erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress to lawfully designated hunting, trapping, and fishing areas;

(d) Intentionally interjects himself into the line of fire;

(e) Engages in any other conduct with the intent to disrupt or prevent lawful hunting, trapping, and fishing activities.

(3) Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

(4) Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be liable for all damages incurred by the individual whose lawful activity was obstructed and for all court costs of prosecution.

(5) Nothing in this section shall limit the actions of law enforcement officers and personnel of the division of wildlife in the performance of their official duties nor apply to landowners, tenants, or leaseholders exercising their legal rights to the enjoyment of land, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and restricting trespass, nor will anything in this section be construed to prohibit any incidental interference arising from the lawful use of land or water.
NO Don this is the law the goof ball broke. I didnt bother no one i was away from the fishing boats and this guy saw we were there and i think he thought it was ok to fish there.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Squab said:
I voted NO that I would not.. The reason i voted that is because i wouldn't want to even be around people shooting guns for safety reasons!! People are stupid and I don't trust people i don't know.. he!l i don't even trust some people i do know, with guns. LOL

I actually havn't ever even seen anyone hunting on a lake in my life anyway.. Didn't even realize it was legal to do :/ But i do have a question or two for those people who do hunt on the water......

How much of an area of a lake are you taking up in order to setup decoys ect?You talking about taking a whole cove of a lake to yourself??

I personally wouldn't have gotten mad if I was fishing and someone came 60 yards from me and started fishing.. 120' is plenty enough room!! Right?

Also what gives you the right to the area? Fisherman has rights to the area as well.. just cause you were there 1st??

What if "your cove" had a fisherman before you showed up? Would you setup in a diff. location?
Yes i would have set up in another location not to bother the fishermen. If some one is in a location i would respect them and not fish or hunt around them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes guys and gals it is public water and we all have rights to it, but cant we all just respect others and lets fish and hunt together. Im not apossed to a fisherman catching fish just not on top of another fisherman or hunter. leave a little room and let us all enjoy the outdoors.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
cocoking said:
Yes guys and gals it is public water and we all have rights to it, but cant we all just respect others and lets fish and hunt together. Im not apossed to a fisherman catching fish just not on top of another fisherman of hunter. leave a little room and let us all enjoy the outdoors.
Amen. If someone, fisherman or hunter, is already set up there leave him alone and give him space. If you really, really want that spot, get there earlier next time.

Cripes. Is it really that tough to excercise common courtesy?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

There go my plans for dealing with the pike spearers next spring!

Common sense just doesn't run rampant quite like ignorance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts