Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up late last night and saw an infomercial about Instant fisherman" rod and reel combo. Seems like a neat little set up. Anyone ever try one ? ???

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
LoL, That looks pretty cool. Not sure it cool enough to order but a good idea.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
514 Posts
well, i broke my barbie rod this spring and have been looking for a good replacement every since ;D i think i am actually going to order one of these and check it out. i am a huge fan of telescoping rods but they are usually made cheeply. i like that this one has ceramic guides. if the reel is not total crap then it would be worth it to me. i have a few places that i love to fish that you have to crawl through willows and swap to get to. its hard enough to keep from spilling your beer and even harder to keep your lines from getting tangled in the willows. if its junk i'll send it back. either way i'll post and let you know. i am flying to florida next month for work and would love to bring a fishing pole so it will be a good test.

·
Registered
514 Posts
hmm the number on their website is invalid and i found this with a quick google search. bummer, looked like a neat product.

9/11/2006 - Kathy writes:
I purchased this product as a birthday present for my boyfriend. I ordered it over the phone on Aug. 28. My boyfriends birthday was 8 days from that, but I purchased the extra $10 option of rush delivery (guaranteed 2-3 day delivery) to insure that it would get here in time. Needless to say, by, Sept. 5, I had received nothing. It finally came 2 days later! In addition, I opted for a payment plan of 3 monthly payments, but after checking my online banking, found that they took out all $93 in one swoop, which resulted in an overdraft fee of $35.It took a lot of work to get in touch with them, as the number on their website is non-active) I am livid. I am very, very angry. But that's not all. We finally got around to fishing yesterday, and the look on my boyfriend's face was so sad. It took about an hour to get it out of him, but he finally broke down and told me that the "fishing pole" was horrible. One of the cheapest, loudest, bulkyest, most awkward rod he'd ever seen. (He's been an avid fisherman since he was 5 or 6). The saddest part was that he felt so bad about having to tell me this, but I made him. Basically, he said you could get something of the same quality at your local []. I'm returning it today, LESS $40 SHIPPING & HANDLING. **Do not even entertain the thought of purchasing this wad of cheap plastic! Trust me.

8/30/2006 - Anonymous writes:
I am an avid fisherman. I happened to catch an infomercial about "The Instant Fisherman", and the Fishing Rods seemed like a perfect stup for myself. I called the number on the infomercial and tried to order the product. I was told that I could only get information on the Fishing rods after I gave them my credit card information. I refused to give any credit card numbers untill I had more details about the product. I was told that is not possible. I went to their website and read about the items I would be purchasing. Feeling confidant in the product I ordered them on-line. One month after purchase, No items were delivered to me. I tried to contact the company to check on status of my purchases. The number listed on their website is not a valid number. I tried to see if there was any other way to contact them but to no avail. There is no working phone number and the only way is to send them a letter, which of course I got no RESPONSE from them. I am now fighting with my Credit Card Company to cancel the payment, but because I had waited 30 days the charges have already cleared. They offer a 30 day guarentee for their products but 30 days has passed and I have yet to recieve the products. DO NOT PURCHASE "THE INSTANT FISHERMAN" because you WILL NOT recieve the products.

·
Registered
514 Posts
EyeHunter27 said:
Maybe "the instant pissed off fisherman" more accurate.
well, i am about to find out. i didnt think i was far enough along in the order process for it to go through but it looks like they are more then happy to order for you. the good news is that the phone number with the order confermation does work. that made me feel a bit better. if its crap or i have trouble dealing with them then i'll just have my credit card reverse the charges. it worries me a bit that the phone number on their web site takes you to the debt doctor though. we will see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know dave how it goes. I'm thinking of ordering for myself as an early christmas present. I'm also looking for something small and convienent to carry around in my car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
needabite said:
Let me know dave how it goes. I'm thinking of ordering for myself as an early christmas present. I'm also looking for something small and convienent to carry around in my car.
My dad got me one of these for my 12th birthday (I'm 36 now)

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=57944&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

It finally broke on me 3 years ago after 21 years of heavy use. The biggest fish I ever caught on it was a 8# catfish out of Flagler. I just bought 2 more, one for me and one for my son. They also make a spincast version:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=57945&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

The case can be carried on your belt or on your backpack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with biscuit' Dad -- that Daiwa rig is good for the money.  You also might look into a telescoping rod.  They pack up real small and you can leave them rigged when you collapse it.  The telescoping rod are good enough now that I don't own any other kind of ultralight rod.

Here are couple from Cabelas but you can get them about anywhere:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011753112334a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=telescopic&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=telescopic&noImage=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0002749114696a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=telescopic&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=telescopic&noImage=0

Good Luck

Tony

·
Registered
514 Posts
well, i got one of these in to check it out figuring that if i didnt like it i would sent it back. i really like the rod design. its very comfortable and casts well. not bad at all for a super portable pole. the reel though is of the worst quality. the housing is nice and well laid out but the gearing and drag are so bad that it is painful to deal with the noisy grinding. i have nothing against a low quality reel and would gladly use one if it were functional. this one is so bad though that it ruins the experience. i am amazed that it even pulls the line in, which it does but slowly. the drag is all but unusable. i think i will follow Biscuit's Dad's advise and get a diawa. if they would just put $10 worth of reel on the instant fisherman it would be a great rig. its a bummer but it was worth checking on the chance that it was a good setup. back it goes though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts