1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the talk of the Denver one I totally missed this one:

Fishing Regs Meeting in Colorado Springs

~ Angeler input sought for proposed changes to Colorado fishing regulations. ~

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) will hold an Angler Roundtable in Colorado Springs to discuss proposed changes to Colorado fishing regulations, and other topics of interest to local anglers.

The meeting will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on August 30 at the CDOW Office at 4255 Sinton Road.

The Colorado Wildlife Commission will meet in Lamar in September 8-9 to adopt new fishing regulations that will be in effect for a five-year period beginning January 1, 2006.

Some of the proposed changes to fishing regulations are applicable to all waters of the state, while others are more specific to individual lakes and streams.

Regulations changes being considered include:
- Changing the definition of ?artificial? and ?bait? to define any use of artificial scents or scent impregnated lures as bait;
- Standardizing the bag limits for warm-water fish species to make it easier for anglers to identify and understand daily take limits.
- Restricting the harvest of walleye and saugeye to fish larger than 15 inches with a bag limit of 5 fish, only 1 over 21 inches.;
- Lowering the daily bag limit on catfish from 20 to 10 fish;
- Lowering the daily bag limit on black bass to 5 fish.

?Angler Roundtable meetings are a great opportunity for anglers and DOW biologists to discuss fishing regulation issues or any other fishing concerns they have? said Doug Krieger, senior fishery biologist for the Southeast Region DOW.

People who cannot attend the meetings can provide comment to: DOW Aquatic Section, 4255 Sinton Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80907 (719-227-5202), or directly to the Colorado Wildlife Commission via email at [email protected].
--Press release wild life commission http://wildlife.state.co.us/news/press.asp?pressid=3600

·
Banned
487 Posts
Someone needs to mention putting pressure on the city of Colorado Springs to open up the lakes to public access. For once I wish the CDOW would not support those water utilities.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IceInTheVeins said:
Someone needs to mention putting pressure on the city of Colorado Springs to open up the lakes to public access. For once I wish the CDOW would not support those water utilities.
This is useless at a CDOW meeting since they have absolutely no control over waters under Colorado Springs Utilities.

·
Banned
487 Posts
ePiC said:
IceInTheVeins said:
This is useless at a CDOW meeting since they have absolutely no control over waters under Colorado Springs Utilities.
I know they have no control over those regulations, but they could at least be an advocate for anglers rather than just going along with them on everything. These meetings are also good places to rally others to the cause and to gather signatures for ballot measures. The key to winning these battles is simple - NUMBERS.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how many balot mesures are you collecting signatures on

maybe you could post the content of them and if we agree we could print it sign it and send it back to ya

·
Banned
487 Posts
roadkill said:
how many balot mesures are you collecting signatures on

maybe you could post the content of them and if we agree we could print it sign it and send it back to ya
I can't do anything for Colorado Springs or Denver lakes that are closed because I am not a citizen of either. Ballot measures are often the only way to get things done these days.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
wouldnt there be some way to make it a state wide issue?

·
Banned
487 Posts
roadkill said:
wouldnt there be some way to make it a state wide issue?
Not really. The local government is the way to do it since they are the one with jurisdiction. State governments are reluctant to enter the affairs of local governments.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Isn't there any CO Springs citizen on this board who would be willing to petition for a ballot measure to open up all the public lakes? Any Denver citizens for those waters?

I mean if you agree with me, stand up and be counted.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
have you had any success with stuff like this over there maybe hearing about a successful venture might get someone motivated

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I agree some water supplies should be off limits. As much trash and other crap thats laying around the metro lakes here in Colorado Springs is not something I'd like to have in my water supply reserviors.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think all the trash messes with the water quality they process the water so much you could send toilet water to the plants and still get safe drinking water in fact any large city on a large river does just that cause the cities up stream dump their treated sewage in the river

there are some understandable resons for some closures like not haveing the manpower/budget to regulate access but some of the reasons they use are a little off

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ken-I'll be there-gonna ask them why they have such a hard-on for pike. Well, I'll be more diplomatic than that. I hope others there feel the same way. We got literally hundreds of places to fish for trout but only a handful that have pike-these fish get no respect.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think there is much hope for the dow to lighten up on pike might be better to get them to step up stocking of tigers

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
kirbydog said:
Ken-I'll be there-gonna ask them why they have such a hard-on for pike. Well, I'll be more diplomatic than that. I hope others there feel the same way. We got literally hundreds of places to fish for trout but only a handful that have pike-these fish get no respect.
I agree that there is little if anything that will happen concerning the current pike limits. but I am very interested to hear what the answer to that question is!

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan said:
kirbydog said:
I agree that there is little if anything that will happen concerning the current pike limits. but I am very interested to hear what the answer to that question is!

Dan
The last meeting I went to there, they had a big discussion about pike so if you dont bring it up I'm sure its going to come up.

·
Banned
487 Posts
roadkill said:
i dont think all the trash messes with the water quality they process the water so much you could send toilet water to the plants and still get safe drinking water in fact any large city on a large river does just that cause the cities up stream dump their treated sewage in the river

there are some understandable resons for some closures like not haveing the manpower/budget to regulate access but some of the reasons they use are a little off
Agreed. Having garbage or people to touch the water does NOTHING to impact water quality. As I have said, natural contamination from wildlife and runoff contributes THOUSANDS of times more contamination than human activity, and all those contaminants are removed and rendered harmless by the treatment process.
It is our right to fish on our own property. These lakes belong to us and we pay for them.
Sorry Epic, I DO NOT agree with you and I think all that hold that view that work for water utilities shouldn't be working there.

·
Banned
487 Posts
kirbydog said:
Ken-I'll be there-gonna ask them why they have such a hard-on for pike.  Well, I'll be more diplomatic than that. I hope others there feel the same way.  We got literally hundreds of places to fish for trout but only a handful that have pike-these fish get no respect.
Well said. I will be writing a letter that is diplomatic but doesn't tiptoe around the issue either. It is time for some lakes to be managed for pike and for pike to be protected statewide. What the DOW has done to pike is unforgiveable. Just for that alone they should be out of their jobs. Not to mention everything else.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ok i hear you always want this or that person tossed
out but who will take their place
and what makes you thing the people taking there place
will not do worse

i always hear you complaining so when you get out of school and get on with your life are you going to work for dow and try to fix things ???????????

just wanting to know

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i will be at the meeting in lamar on the 31

because i want them to know what i am thinking

not because im going to go change things but if we all

stay at home they will never know what we are thinking

just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 42 Posts