Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished 11 mile canyon on wenesday. It was a beautiful day, 60 and partial clouds. Started a little slow but picked up fast around 11am.
I got into the fish ,just below the culvert bridge, and didn't move all day. I didn't even take a lunch and fished 2 runs from 10am to 3pm when it finally slowed down. I netted more than 25 fish, I lost count at 20 but caught a lot more after that. I broke off a couple monsters( 20-24 inches) but stuck to the 6x. Maybe 45 hook ups. Landed one 20"er and a dozen or so between 16-19"s. Bigger than usual today and fat too. I wanted to explore the river more but hey who gets out of a run thats producing a fish every couple casts. Almost all the fish I caught were sight fished.
They were eating olive scuds, ivory rainbow wariors, black rainbow wariors, olive and black rs2, desert storms, and little red midges. it seemed like the color was more important than the fly. White early and dark latter.
Get up there if you want some HOT winter fishing!!
I'm going to try and get back up there for a couple days next week. I have a 30 foot RV and the campgrounds are empty if anyone wants to split the gas $$!?!
I'd like to meet some fellow fly fishers so I can stop photographing my left hand, lol.
Jim

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well done - I like camping in Spillway each summer. Fun place.

Thanks for the report and good job catching so many nice fish!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tightwork Mtn- Does it look like the bows are starting to pair up for the spawn on the gravelbeds? This is fun times in the canyon. WTG.
Tightlines

1 - 4 of 4 Posts