Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Found this site today.
I have been in the Middle East for over 3 years now and will take a short vacation again in August. My question is that my boy wants to go fishing.
We live in the Colorado Springs area.
I want him to catch some fish as he went with family last year and caught nothing.
He is 5 years old and I would love to find a nice place to rent a room and for him to do some fishing at a pond. Many years back there use to be a place called Trout Haven up by Woodland Park.
I search the net and can't find anything close to Colorado Springs area.
There was a place in Estes Park, but it is a little far.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Does it matter what species of fish? Do you have a tent or camper? Do you want to stay over night? How far are you willing to travel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any type of trout.
Looking to stay the night or 2 in a lodge.
No tent or camper.
If I must, then I would be willing to travel for no more than 3 hours from Colorado Springs.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
That Trout Haven place in Green Mountain Falls (or Cascade cant remember for sure) is still there I drive by it alot... not a place I would pay to go fish, but everyone has their own goals and putting the microdude on fish is pretty important.

There are alot of places you could go within 3 hours of the Springs, so to you and your family what is most important out of this trip.
The cabin/lodge you stay in? The little one catching fish? Scenery and wildlife? How many people will it be? How much are you willing to spend?

I think we can narrow down some good spots for you with all that info.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
OH and River or Lake fishing? Or doesnt matter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off I appreciate the help.
Lake fishing is the preferred.
The little one catching fish is the most important for this trip.
I would prefer to stay a night or 2 in close proximity.
Not necessarily a cabin or lodge. A hotel would be fine.
Scenery and wildlife would be a great plus.
There would only be 4 of us total for this trip.
If the little one will catch the fish and enjoy himself then I would spend the money since I will return to the Middle East and only leave him with the fun memories.
I know it is much and I do thank you all.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've been trying to think of places my kid and I have caught fish consistantly everytime I've been.. The only two I can think of is Brush Hollow and Lake Isabel. Brush Hollow probably has the highest density of bluegills I've ever seen, but they wont become active until later in the summer, and there is no close by cabins that I know of, its in Penrose which might have a place to stay but is close enough to Canon City where you could find a hotel or bed & breakfast to stay at.
The one I would lean more towards is Lake Isabel down at San Isabel. Its pretty I've always caught trout there, nothing huge but always caught them. Its pretty has great scenery, I stayed at one of the cabins from Pine Lodge - 719-489-2686 and it was nice, I think only 60-65$ a night cant remember. You can stop at bishop's castle and let the kid explore a real castle on your way. There is a stream at the inlet to the lake that I'm told holds trout as well, Im told. I think you can rent paddle boats or canoes there as well. I'd recommend powerbait, salmon eggs and marshmellows, and worms. With the marshmellows (the small ones, and white) I put one on the top of my hook and 2 salmon eggs below it, on a size 6 hook fished on the bottom with 2 splitshots, usually does well there. Worms under a bobber (prefered kid method as they can watch their bobber) break the worm in half put the hook threw the worm a couple times then thread it threw the body and let some hang off so it wiggles, set it about 2.5-3ft below the bobber. Help him set the hook if he is having troubles.
I am sure there are a million other places people will suggest, and I havent lived here long enough to get to alot of nice places.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Found a website for Pine Lodge in San Isabel, Im sure there are other cabin rentals in that area as well it may pay to check around.
http://www.thepinelodge.net/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts