Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Colorado Springs area and really want to take my 7 year old boy out fishing.  Any good spots in north Colorado Springs/Monument?  Lake or pond fishing - bass, trout, sunfish - we're not picky.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I live in the springs to and have asked this many times... hehe, Here are some lakes and I'm sure some others will post the ones I forget. Pikeview pond is intown off Austin Bluffs and Nevada, has just about everything... the little one can catch bluegills out of the rocks(they hide in them) and you can fish for everything from catfish to crappie to trout to tirger musky its all in there. Quail lake is behind tinseltown by Atmel, it also has a lot of warm water species and trout in it, (gills also hide in the rocks there too). Rampart Reservior is up in the mountains between the springs and woodland park, you can take rampart range road in Garden of the Gods and get to it or drive threw woodland park ( I like the Garden of the Gods route, but if you take a boat you should go threw woodland park). Fort Carson has 3 good ponds full of bass, catfish, gills, and trout but you have to buy an on post fishing liscense for 20$. Brush Hollow also known as lake full of bluegills and sunfish is located in Penrose which isnt far, it has bass, catfish, and crappie in it to. Lake Pueblo in Pueblo west has some good fishing when you can fish around the jet skiers, skiers, and pleasure boaters, also warm water species with trout mixed in. The Arkansas River runs a long was threw Pueblo as far as you want to drive, lots of trout there. 11-mile Big lake out in South Park has pike, trout, salmon... its sister lake Spinney also has alot of pike, trout and salmon. The South PLatte it runs right threw both the previous lakes with gold medal fishing on both sides in 11-mile canyon and between Spinney and 11-mile. Mounument Lake up in Monument also was recently stocked with trout, but it was just refilled so thats all thats in there. Prospect pond in memorial park in the Springs has recently been refilled but I havent heard anything about stocking yet.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Try Catamount Reservoirs near Pikes Peak...I think it is a fee area...however my friend who lives in the springs has had great success there this summer.

TH

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutHunter said:
Try Catamount Reservoirs near Pikes Peak...I think it is a fee area...however my friend who lives in the springs has had great success there this summer.

TH
There is also another reservior up there if I remember right, I have never fished these but both are past the fee area so you will have to pay to drive up there on the toll road.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
When I lived in Divide back in the 80's we used to take our kids to the little pond right smack in the middle of Woodland Park. It's on the north side of town (high school side). I can't remember the street names but it was right across from a firehouse. They used to stock the heck out of it. The best part was that there also was a playground right there too and a field a little ways over. I'd give that a try.

Anyone out there from WP that can give better directions?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
_colorado said:
When I lived in Divide back in the 80's we used to take our kids to the little pond right smack in the middle of Woodland Park. It's on the north side of town (high school side). I can't remember the street names but it was right across from a firehouse. They used to stock the heck out of it. The best part was that there also was a playground right there too and a field a little ways over. I'd give that a try.

Anyone out there from WP that can give better directions?
THere is a little campground lake in Green Mountain Falls on the way to woodland park that you can pay to go fish there, and they guarentee you catch some stocker trout. (or atleast thats what the sign said)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
TL,

You're right - it is a stinky little pond. I forgot all about the goose turds. Well, I AM a grandpa so I'm allowed to have selective memory! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts