Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered what you guys do or advice you might share about fishing in stained water? Any changes you do to your typical approach? I haven’t had the best of luck when I lose sight of my lures just a couple feet behind the boat. I usually troll most of my time on the water. Any info appreciated
Thanks

d

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
... also, money, booze and broads... that gives you something to do till the fish start biting >:D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
ItsaBigun said:
bigger, slower, more flash, more vibration, more scent ;)
x2
Good stuff!

Brass and wild/contrast patterns (firetiger, clown, etc.)
crawler harnesses trolled around 1-1.5mph are great for this.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
All the suggestions are good. One thing that I have done in the past is to fish very methodically in an area I have confidence in. Even if the water is super dirty, fish still feed effectively.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Think shallow water and stay tight to structure as you slowly troll near, bushes, trees, rocky points and the edges of creek channels. ...keep it tight.

If looking for walleyes, add a bottom bouncer to your crawler harness, a couple of beads and a small blade...keep it at a 45 degree angle.

Don't overlook the shallow mud flats, If you find one walleye on the flat, mark the spot and fish it hard...walleye like to feed in packs, oftentimes only a few feet away from each other over a fairly wide swath...each benefiting from the others presence as they move forage from one to another....A good time to stop trolling and switch to a jig like a roadrunner. Right now you can find walleyes feasting on mayfly emergers...on the mud flats.

Remember in dirty water, more baits will be ambushed rather than tracked...and of course blade baits and rattle baits can be a good choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts