Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of fishing is done in the spring and summer and fall.

I never try fishing a run off.

is that something I should try?

My question is: Can you fish a run off?
what do you use when you fish a run off

how long does a run off last?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fuzzynuts said:
Most of fishing is done in the spring and summer and fall.

I never try fishing a run off.

is that something I should try?

My question is: Can you fish a run off?
what do you use when you fish a run off

how long does a run off last?
I've never fly fished the run off, but I have drifted worms and caught fish.... The answer to can you fish run off is yes do you want to is another. I would think big natural/black streamers would work. Becareful the water is moving fast during the runoff it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I usually hit the lakes when runoff occurs...but at the tail end of the runoff the water will clear up and it is possible to fish it then....if you are careful. when the water is high concentrate on the edges of the river and behind larger rocks. throw larger patterns (like scuds, wooley buggers, and san juan worms) and fish a shorter line...otherwise you will lose your drift when the current catches your line and drags it away. higher water and faster flows usually pushes the fish to the edges of the stream to slacker water, so focus your attention there. be careful with your approach, as the fish will be right up on the banks. when they do this you will have to stay low and fish upstream more often than not.

throwing spinners on ultra light gear is usually the most productive way to fish high and fast water from my experience...but if you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing you can catch them on flies too. streamers would be my fly of choice, worked as close to the edge as possible...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts