Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i'll be staying in theTrading Post Resort, 44414 Poudre Canyon in Bellvue, CO Next sunday through the week. I'm going in completely blind as this was a suggested location for camping/fly fishing. Any tips/ideas on what to expect for a newcomer to Colorado Fly fishing? I'm used to fishing 8 to 12" browns in the Driftless Area in Wisconsin using a 3wt.
Thanks in advance, it's much appreciated!
-Adam

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Much faster water than you're used to in the Driftless. This time of year I'd do a dry dropper combo . Elk Hair Caddis or a Hopper on top with a bead head prince or pheasant tail should get you started. Cover the runs, riffles and pools. That area has some neat lakes the further you get up, one even has grayling, something you won't see around Madison for sure.

IMHO the trout are going to be less spooky that you'd find in your Driftless streams, but that doesn't mean you can wade with impunity either. Try to cover a lot of water thoroughly but faster than you would back east.

If you want larger trout I'd look at the Colorado, South Platte, the Frying Pan or the Arkansas.

I've fished and still do from Timber Coulee to Black Earth. Beautiful area.

Enjoy your time in Colorado.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks like this post is a bit dated. How about a post on how you did? Near some of the best fishing on the entire river so you should have just hammered them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts