Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I get more info from what people tell me doesn't work than what does work. Most people I see, I believe, get lucky when they catch a fish and therefore, I usually try the opposite of them. You can see when people are working the fish vs the fish working them. These are the true fishmen and women, these are the folks I respect.

I got the one in the other post at Prospect Ponds. The fish there have been tough (for me) and don't seem to be grouping up like in other ponds. You have to be very slow in your presentations there for bass. Again, bass there are running in the 3-5 foot range and casting parallel to shore seems to be working best. I am finding that right now the bass are moving to the 4-S program....

Slow (just fast enought to engage the action of the lure)
Smaller (I am sizing down right now. In three or four weeks I will go with big lures again)
Steady (Jerk baits are producing nothing for me, steady retrieves are)
Shallow (3-5 ft of water)

Everytime I go out, I pay close attention to my speed and rod angle. When I get a strike I hone that presentation. The fish will give me clues and I need to decipher them. Once I get follows or bites, I extremely gradually change my presentation. Maybe just a touch faster. That doesn't work, I go to just a touch slower. If you notice, the fish's energy levels are slowing down. They aren't coming out of the water as much when you catch them. This is a good sign to notice and pay attention to. Now, there are still some ponds where they will come out of the water, these places you can use a bit more speed on your retrieves but erratic presentations seem to be done this year.

My grandmother used to tell me that the key to fishing is learning to speak fish. ;D They will show you what they want or don't want. I have been skunked very few times this year, and I am fishing an average of 3-5 days a week and just an average Joe. I believe this is due to the fact that I really pay attention to what I am doing and what the fish are telling me. I know that probably sounds pretty stupid, but it does work.

These are just my observations and thoughts. They may not work for others but I wanted to share it.

What do you folks notice when you go out? What do you do? What are your philosophies on fishing?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
working it hard, not giving up and fishing with your head. thats what i aim for and it ussualy pays off and if that dont work dunk some worms in a panfish hole just to keep the skunk off. that works for me!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I tend to overthink my fishing. When I go out and follow instincts I usually do better...if nothing else I have more fun that way!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like to tyr and out think em but sometime i have to remember that sometime a simple worm driffed by is just the ticket!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
When it comes to bass my advice to anyone would be learn to fish soft plastics like senkos and tubes. These will get you bit on average more often than the hard baits because the work better on neutral and negative fish. And fish are in that mood far more often than they are in an aggressive one. To me, that really separates a guy who fishes from a guy who really knows how to fish.

F

·
0 Posts
for me thinking to much is why I love fishing ....When im trying to figure out fish I dont think about anything else ....eatings sleeping drinking bills wife ..nothing just whats gonna put me on fish ...then after trying a couple different methods and finding just what those fish want I feel a great deal of acomplishment

·
Registered
943 Posts
i just like the saying its called fishing and not catching. if all the fish were easy to catch what fun would that be?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
afishman said:
i just like the saying its called fishing and not catching. if all the fish were easy to catch what fun would that be?
it might not be fun but i would be full...

·
Registered
943 Posts
i think you already are ;D lol j/k

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
full of fish is better than full of.... well you get the pic

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I always try to think like a fish... "if I was a fish I'd be there or I'd eat that" "OHHHH SHINY!!!"

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Zias said:
bass there are running in the 3-5 foot range
Holy buckets! Now them are some decent sized bass! I gotta get myself out there tomorrow. :D

Seriously -- when they are that shallow, I just gotta fish my topwater baits, then spinnerbaits, then plastic worms, trying them in that order.

F

·
0 Posts
It depends on the time of day for me ....In low light conditions Its hard for me not the throw topwaters (zara spooks in red and white, buzzbaits in black ) .....But shallow bass are suckers for buzzin a jig and pig past them !!!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
ePiC said:
I always try to think like a fish... "if I was a fish I'd be there or I'd eat that" "OHHHH SHINY!!!"
I never try to think like a fish. Fish don't think. Fish have a brain about the size of a pinhead. Fish are like little robots, run by little automatic microchip computers. What I try to do, is figure out what program they are running on today. If I can guess that, I can catch them.

F

·
0 Posts
depends the kind of fish im fishing for ....I honestly think more when im fishing for carp then I do trout .....You think small stream trout are spooky ....Try to target carp in a river ..Its a blast, Everything comes into play shadows,noise,a poorly placed cast ...Carp are alot harder to catch then most people think ..

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
ePiC said:
I never try to think like a fish. Fish don't think. Fish have a brain about the size of a pinhead. Fish are like little robots, run by little automatic microchip computers. What I try to do, is figure out what program they are running on today. If I can guess that, I can catch them.
"OHHHH SHINY!!!" :eek:

C

·
0 Posts
Carp are in my opinion THE most difficult fish to fish for because they seem to get smarter and smarter every day. Use the same bait in the same area for more than three days and they will become wary of it and won't respond. Show 'em the same rig for a week, they'll freak. Give 'em any tension what so ever and they will drop the bait. One thing is for sure, to catch the bigguns ya gotta be educated!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I think its pretty well established that carp and the smartest freshwater fish. Not book smarts mind you ::) but instinct and wariness.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fish do think and they do learn they might not have Opposable Thumbs and thats a good thing or it might not be safe to go by the water late at night after what weve done to them for so long

1 - 20 of 31 Posts