Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I got this new little "fishing tip a day" Calendar for Christmas. So I am going to throw the tips I get on the forum and see what kind of conversation they will start. Some tips are usefull, others are a waste of paper, but here they go.

January 29
----------------
Fish in muddy water usually depend on smell then on other senses. Sweeten your lure with scent or other natural baits.

January 30
----------------
Fishing usually becomes very poor when cold fronts hit in the early spring. The high pressure causes fish to get lockjaw.
(lockjaw? really?)

January 31
----------------
Barbless hooks make it easier to release fish without injuring them. To disable the barb, squeeze it flat with pliers. This method is an acceptable way of modifying your hook so that it complies with regulations requiring barbless-only fishing.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really. Thats kind of what I mean though. The one about fish getting lockjaw surprised me a bit. I knew that storm fronts affected fishing, but lock jaw? Not sure if I understand the truth behind that.

So they are a bit obvious, but some might disagree or be able to share a story that relates. It is only January though. We still have a little over 300 of these to go. Maybe something will surprise us later on.

I didnt write all the ones from previous days, but there was one on January 24th that read:

"In most waters, four insects and their larvae make up the majority of a trouts diet. - Caddis flies, mayflies, stone flies, and midges. This is why fly fishing is such an effective method of catching these fighters. Lures based on patterns resembling nymphs and wet flies are generally the best to use on rivers and streams"

Again, common knowledge to fly fisherman, but a great place to start for people who want to learn how to fly fish. We all gotta start somewhere I guess. Maybe simple little blurbs like this will help. Might just be a conversation starter.

Oh well, its all fish talk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts