Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a blast with the boys yesterday. We left at 4am and arrived home at 9pm. Three lakes...a lot of miles and a whole bunch of fun.

It started out pleasant on the first lake...an hour later...not so much. The wind was howling. We really have to thank three young men who saw us out there..put their boat in to fish and quickly changed their minds. Their boat was half full of water sitting next to the ramp when Jim pulled up. They jumped right in and helped get his kayak up on the ramp. I was next and once again they were there to help...waves up to their waists. We weren't done. They then helped us with Bryan's boat. Everyone was soaked. Great young men and we appreciated the assistance.

We decided to bail...not the boats...but bailed on the lake and went next door. Had a good time for the next couple of hours catching some crappie and Large mouths. We then left and hit up a couple of prairie ponds for several more bass. Funny, while I was fishing, I saw what I thought was a giant dead snapping turtle next to my foot. I thought I'd take it over and show it to the boys after a few more casts. I took a few more casts and looked down and that "dead" turtle wasn't dead at all. He slipped into the pond and swam off. I'm glad I made those last few casts before picking him up. All fingers present and accounted for. After several more large mouths, we left for the next lake.

The wind had died down and the boys did some wade fishing. We were about to head out to another lake..driving out in fact..when I changed my mind and figured why not put the boats back in the water and stay. So we did and then we caught a ton of crappie. Funny, as we were driving out of the lake, the warden was set up about a mile from the reservoir, stopping trucks and checking fish and licenses. He asked how I did. I said we caught a lot of crappie. He asked to see the fish and I told him we hadn't kept any. He definitely seemed surprised. I told him the next two trucks were my boys and he checked them...asked each of them if we had kept any fish. Of course he got the same answer and off we went. Nice guy and it was nice seeing him check licenses and limits out there.

That was the end of a great day out with my boys. A lot of memories made and I couldn't ask for better fishing buddies. A great day to be alive....Oh, and we didn't die. :)

Today I get to go down and replace a bathtub faucet...I'd rather be fishing.

Some pics on the next post.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
got my license checked at the boat inspection station at bear creek lake today. first time in five years.nice work to you guys nice to see some people actually release fish. I had a lot of stunned looks today when I released mine also.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
'Twas a windy weekend for us too. Sounds like a fun trip with your boys. I can't get mine to go fishing with me anymore. My friend brought his two kids and they had a lot of fun, except for a couple of hours one morning (it was windy and a little chilly). Bad dad for taking his kids out of school for 1 day. Good dad for taking his kids fishing. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice outing Dave! Glad you didn't end up submerged. Those winds were brutal for a while for sure. Good to see you and the boys hanging out and catching fish together.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A guy I know who lives in that area - said that warden busted two guys with 68 crappie over the limit. Said they fined em $30 a fish. Glad they are trying to keep our fisheries in check.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
A guy I know who lives in that area - said that warden busted two guys with 68 crappie over the limit. Said they fined em $30 a fish. Glad they are trying to keep our fisheries in check.
Hang Them! The number over limit was a more interesting number: 69. More details: https://koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/2019/04/30/tip-to-operation-game-thief-leads-wildlife-officer-to-poachers-on-blue-lake/?fbclid=IwAR2zsN2sJUfK7-C9KI8O81nK-hzCkVh-nSEqcV6kgEGzupZw45KUC3Ns37s

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hang Them! The number over limit was a more interesting number: 69.
Poaching happens way more often than people realise. Just not enough checking going on in our lakes. Sure wish they would increase the amount of wardens or set up check stations with the extra money we pay each year in registrations and licensing. Never understood the need to take more than the limit and rarely take limits myself. If you add up all of the possible different limits of fish one could keep in an outing to some of these lakes it is ridiculous as it is. How many fish can one person or family eat in one meal anyway??

Catch and take a few each outing and even if you do that a few days a week; it's a ton a fish...GREED is what I call it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts